When I was a lot younger

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember mum bathing us in the kitchen sink, because we did not have a bath tub,

She would boil water up over the fire,

Mum would take us fishing and shooting,

Make kites from sticks and butcher paper, or use the paper that the chips was cooked in,

Make the glue from flour and water, it did the trick..

Tathradj said:
Middy was 10 cents

Hang on, Does any one know what an inch is without googling it. O:)

2.54 cm.....but I just measured some wheels I bought, thinking they were the wrong size ( 2 were, they were 15inch not 16!) and read the tape measure as 15 inch...1 and 5....but it should have been 1foot 5inches! Doh!

Backyard dunnies serviced by the the most powerful trucks ever built-possibly 80-100 cylinders.
No Dynamic Lifter, just freshly gathered manure for the veggie garden from across the road who had horses and milk cows-fresh milk as well.
House heating and cooking from wood fired stove and fireplace in the lounge. My father was a carpenter/joiner and got all the wood for free.
The dry ice was for our "fridge".
We eventually had home delivered milk-not today.

Omg when we moved in to a house that had a bath and a indoor toilet, and bedrooms with walls, lol

Like a kid in a Candy shop,

We kept going and flushing that dam toilet, asking mum where did the water go to mum?

The good old days, ;)

Smoky bandit said:
Geez you blokes must be old :Y: :Y:
I am almost 40 but some of these things I remember too, especially getting real full fat non homoised or parsturised real deal milk from a little farm and dairy by dipping a bucket in the vat. Its all vinyard now. The little dairys cant survive. For me a dollar would fill a brown paper bag with mixed lollies, milk drops 1c, red skins and milkos 5c, choc wedge ice cream 50c.

In 1966 I entered an 5yr apprenticeship Tech in Training with the PMG Dept. I think I took home approx $14 a fortnight. Take out train fares cos I was too young to own a car and some board to my parents and it didn't leave too much left to play with. I was always broke after the 1st week. :(

I bet you blokes used to walk 15 miles to school, barefoot in the snow and the blazing sun, uphill both ways! Just like the old man used to tell me! I certainly agree that kids these days have got a lot of things easy but they sure miss out on a lot of stuff too.

Goldfreak said:
Smoky bandit said:
Geez you blokes must be old :Y: :Y:
I am almost 40 but some of these things I remember too, especially getting real full fat non homoised or parsturised real deal milk from a little farm and dairy by dipping a bucket in the vat. Its all vinyard now. The little dairys cant survive. For me a dollar would fill a brown paper bag with mixed lollies, milk drops 1c, red skins and milkos 5c, choc wedge ice cream 50c.
I'm 47 but dont remember much of the last 30yrs...Especially the 80s:)

I know my father rode a bike to work approx 30 miles each way 6 days a week. Then bought a FC Holden Special followed by a HR Holden X2 Premier.
I walked to Dandenong to a state school from Noble Park and rode my bike of sorts to Dandenong High School. Great for the legs and keeping fit. :power:

In primary school , my lunch order was a salad roll, a coffee scroll and a cream bun once a week.
Mum would give me 20 cents and out of that l would get 4 cents change.
That bought me a big bag of lollies.
Also loved being on furnace duty.
All tbe bins would be brought to you to through in the fire and when you were finished, later in the day when it cooled down you had to scrape out all the cans asnd bottles and if you were lucky, you would find some coins.
Happy days :Y:

Latest posts