What Vic National Parks Ass (VNPA) think of us

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
They continue to seek further restrictions either directly or by supporting others with the same agenda as theirs, this comes straight from their web page under the heading "Do gold diggers have special rights." .....

It might seem fair enough to allow a few retired citizens a bit of exercise while they search for a nugget that might have been overlooked during the last 150 years of gold fever.

Their arrogance never ceases to amaze.......

Cheers T.

This is what I have been trying to bring to light for the past few months.... They think there is only a 'few retired citizens' out there.... WE need to prove to the boffins that our numbers are far greater than that.... Or WE WILL be walked over in both states....

But we are not 'allowed' to do that for some reason... :rolleyes: And we must let NAPFA and others take care of it.... :rolleyes: :mad:

LW...

The VNPA are nobodies.

They are just a mob of bushwalkers who seek to limit access to state forests to activities their members solely are interested in.

They are an incorporated association with no legal or executive authority over one inch of state forests.

The Victorian association of wannabe saddos would be more fitting.

Print Email Facebook Twitter More
Men fined for driving quad bikes on closed Arthur-Pieman tracks claim the area is 'part of us'
By Henry Zwartz

Updated about 2 hours ago
Peter Wells and Kevin Heres
Photo: Wells and Heres say they both identified as Aboriginal. (ABC News: Henry Zwartz)
Related Story: Tarkine quad bikers 'should be prosecuted, access closed'
Related Story: Hodgman warned his stance on 4WD tracks undermines reconciliation
Related Story: Tarkine's ancient history 'should qualify area as national park'

Two men from Tasmania's west coast have been fined after riding all-terrain vehicles on closed four-wheel-drive tracks on a reserve known for its sensitive Aboriginal sites.

In April last year, Peter Wells and Stafford Heres were filmed riding quad bikes in the Arthur-Pieman Conservation Area on Tasmania's west coast.

The section of tracks was closed in 2012 to protect those Aboriginal sites but the State Government has been trying to reopen the tracks since that 2012 decision.

Both the Wilderness Society and the Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre have been opposed to the plan to reopen tracks in the area.

The two had initially pleaded not guilty to three charges of driving a vehicle on reserved land.

But in Burnie Magistrates Court today, they amended the plea to guilty on one count on the condition the other two were dismissed.

Heres was fined $600 plus court costs of $82 while Wells was fined $326 plus court costs.

The maximum penalty for the offence is $3,260.

The two admitted they knew they had been breaking the law.

"We've probably bent the rule one too many times," Wells said.

Magistrate Andrew McKee noted Heres had been caught just four days after being sentenced on a similar charge, for which he had been fined $1,300.

"Will you now intend on being compliant with the law you were not compliant last time?", Magistrate McKee asked.

"Yes," replied Heres.

"It's clear to me you hold this area dear but the area was closed whether you agree with it or not," the magistrate said.

Heres told the court that both he and Wells identified as Indigenous.

"We've been going to the area for 40 years", said.

"We see ourselves as caretakers of the land. We don't go down there for destruction it's part of us.

"There's been a lot of rules and regulations set by people who aren't in the area."
'They should have had the book thrown at them'

Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre (TAC) representative and Greens candidate for Braddon Jarrod Edwards, who was in court today, said he was furious.

Mr Edwards said Heres was a repeat offender.

"They should have actually thrown the book at him and given him the maximum penalty," Mr Edwards said.

"He [Heres] was fined previously a greater amount than he received today, which I think is disgracefully unfair."

Mr Edwards said he had been involved in preserving the coastal region's landscape for 20 years.

"All my adult working life, I've been involved in protecting and preserving the cultural legacy of that landscape," he said.

Conservationist Bob Brown said he was outraged by what he described as a "token" punishment.

He said the fines were less than 20 per cent of the penalty available to the court.

"Light fines for two men convicted today of illegally driving through the Tarkine coast's National Heritage Area underscore a shocking disregard for the Tasmanian Aboriginal people's cultural heritage," he said.

In a statement, the Tasmanian Government said it welcomed the prosecution.

"The Tasmanian Government is committed to allowing lawful recreational access to certain areas, provided the necessary Commonwealth approvals are obtained," a government spokesman said.

"In no way do we condone the illegal use of these tracks, or damage to Aboriginal cultural heritage."
Aboriginal groups at odds over track access

A Wilderness Society member, who witnessed Wells and Heres driving on the closed tracks, said their actions were "horrific".

"We were there at the time this incident happened, and watched it unfold alongside the Tasmanian Aboriginal people we were with, and it was horrific," Tom Allen said.

"Deliberately driving over Aboriginal heritage in World-Heritage grade landscapes should not be tolerated."

Mr Allen said the State Government was a "sponsor" for the illegal activity.

"The worst offender remains Premier Will Hodgman, who wants to reopen these tracks," he said.

The Liberal Party went to the 2014 election with a vow to reopen the tracks but has failed to do so after the Tasmanian Aboriginal Centre took the matter to the Federal Court.

But the local Circular Head Aboriginal Corporation has sided with the Government, arguing for the tracks to be reopened.

A spokesperson said the Government welcomed the punishment of Wells and Heres, saying it does not condone defying the access ban.

"The Tasmanian Government is committed to allowing lawful recreational access to certain areas, provided the necessary Commonwealth approvals are obtained," they said.

"In no way do we condone the illegal use of these tracks, or damage to Aboriginal cultural heritage."

Topics: courts-and-trials, community-and-society, aboriginal, burnie-7320, tas

First posted about 4 hours ago
Print Email Facebook Twitter More

Contact Henry Zwartz

More stories from Tasmania
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...riding-atvs-in-arthur-pieman-reserve/10025622

http://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/ 3/4 down page.

diggit said:
The VNPA are nobodies.

They are just a mob of bushwalkers who seek to limit access to state forests to activities their members solely are interested in.

They are an incorporated association with no legal or executive authority over one inch of state forests.

The Victorian association of wannabe saddos would be more fitting.

But they have the greenies/governments ear, and THAT'S the problem we have to overcome

LoneWolf said:
This is what I have been trying to bring to light for the past few months.... They think there is only a 'few retired citizens' out there.... WE need to prove to the boffins that our numbers are far greater than that.... Or WE WILL be walked over in both states....

But we are not 'allowed' to do that for some reason... :rolleyes: And we must let NAPFA and others take care of it.... :rolleyes: :mad:

LW...

Don't really know what the NAPFA claim to represent but, if it's like Victoria then they are there to represent the interests of "miners/prospectors".

Seriously think it's time that they broadened their scope, in the hope of bringing the non prospecting public on-side by perhaps adding that they actively support the conservation and maintenance of important heritage areas within the goldfields ...... ie show and demonstrate that they want to conserve what's left (of old puddlers, shafts, gravesite etc.

Apart from a very few example Heritage Victoria have determined that a lot of these areas are of "little" heritage/conservation value, the least we can do is encourage keeping the little that is left for future generations to see, As an example, it's already a no no to detect/dig on puddler remnants, how hard can it be to organise approval and sponsorship of a few appropriate signs at these locations ..... With a PMAV (or NAPFA) logo at least it gets our name/profile out there.

I know that an afternoon out in the goldfields with a camera could provide enough "evidence" to latte sipping avocado eaters that bush users (not specifically prospectors) are ruining the bush.
It's not what we think or know it's the perception that groups like the VNPA can spread that hurt us...

Just my thoughts,
Cheers T.

OK, read these two sections from their blurb:

"It might seem fair enough to allow a few retired citizens a bit of exercise while they search for a nugget that might have been overlooked during the last 150 years of gold fever".

AND

"Thats because prospectors can cause considerable damage to creeks and streams, and by digging holes they can inadvertently dig up tubers of rare orchids and other plants, as well as impacting on Aboriginal cultural sites, and spreading weeds and harmful soil pathogens".

So, they are claiming "considerable damage to creeks and streams" and major damage to rare plants, cultural sites, spreading soil pathogens, and anything else they can think of to make prospectors sound bad, BUT . . in their own words all done by "a few retired citizens exercising while searching for a missed nugget"!

They can't even get their accusations in line!
A good lawyer would rip that contradiction to pieces in court and expose their stupidity and their exaggerated accusations.

N.A.P.F.A NSW and ACT Prospectors and Fossickers Association..... Pretty much the same as PMAV......So true Teemore, Time to join forces But I think that will NEVER happen. Too many with blinkers on and a particular agenda....They can't see what is really going on.... :N:

The NSW boffins can't even tell the Difference between Fossickers and Prospectors now.... All reference now is Fossickers...

LW....

limpalot said:
Attend the rally coming up on the 8th in Bendigo. Then you can say I was there, I tried to be a voice for my hobby.

That's the issue..... TRIED.. And how many do you expect at your Rally?.. now, if we had all outdoors enthusiasts on board in a National Rally, I recon that would amount to at least 2million voices and that would be better than a few thousand voices....

Time to buy some land with old mines on it.... that's the only way We will be able to keep our Hobby Alive soon...

LW.....

Problem is left wing dogooders making the most noise so those in supposed power take notice. Ive always been in for towing the line and doing the right thing but if they start shutting down areas well I may just have to change my thoughts on that.

Goats are a real menace. I have seen them break down branches and dig up tree roots. They spoil the water ways as well. Lots worse than any prospector would even dream of doing.

Where I live there are a series of sandhills behind the fantastic beaches we have. Now years ago when I was a trail bike rider, we used to stick to the tracks through the dunes. The the coastal protection board banned us from using the dunes. Fine I thought. Then a couple years later 3 different million dollar shacks went up. Bulldozed areas through the dunes to make way for the "holiday shacks" and for private access and private access to the beach. Go figure. Money talks. I bet there is a money trail behind this as well, follow the money...My 3 cents worth, from the copper days of old.

Latest posts