What tyres to get

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Interested in what tyres you run on your 4by and what your impressions are.
I'm just about up for a new set and am looking at

BFG T/A KO
Bridgestone 694
Bridgestone 697

The all terrain specs, 70% road 30% off road pretty well sum me up.
and of course cost will be a factor.
Coopers do not come into the equation, have seen too many fail.
Ron

All I can say is not Coopers I have them on at the moment and as soon as it rains I'm all over the road like a mad woman's c#$p. They fill up on wet grass just c$@p.

I used to have BFG all terrains and will be going back to them :)

cheers

C&L

I'm running the BFG T/A KO and love em.
Great grip and have found them good in the wet.
Little bit of road noise but that's cancelled out by slight adjustment of volume of the stereo.
Thoroughly recommend them.

I agree with Col re Cooper ATR/AT3 - very good on bitumen (dry or wet) and very good on dry dirt. Scary on muddy dirt or in wet grass. I'd say BFG is the pick of the bunch.

Thanks for the headsup on the Coopers, just put them on my Prado, feels great so far on dry dirt and Bitumen, but have not driven in slippery stuff yet, will take it slow in those conditions.

Cheers

I have a set of Savero A/T's so far I have 74k out of them. I am about 70/30 as well have been very happy. They still have another 10-15k left in them. Cheers Rick

I liked the tread patterns and wanted BF 694 / 697 but couldn't get them in my rim size on my older vehicle

All I can say now is that my next available choice was disappointing. Hangkook RF10's slide around like Cr@p on dry roads although they are very good in the wet.
my next vehicle will have big muddies and will give me a wider array of tyre choices

I've had BFG AT's on a Rodeo, and the first set were great, but the second set wore much more quickly. Current vehicle is a D-Max, and the stock Bridgestone's (693 I think) were not too good - pretty shallow tread and cactus after 45,000km.

Earlier this year I put on a set of Bridgestone 697's LT construction and so far they are great. Good tread depth, good off road performance, and very sure footed on the highway in the wet. Little apparent wear after 13000 km.

At this stage, I'd buy them again.

G'day

almost through my second set of Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts on a Disco 3. Awesome tyre. I'm getting 60-70,000k's, very quiet on tarmac, grip galore (ive pushed them deliberately hard to find where they let go) on road and off. They are compared to the Pirelli Scorpians re price etc.. but have much better grip, seem to be of a harder compound so less damage, deeper tread and much better mileage. I did a lot of homework on tyres and love these so much I'll get a third set.

cheers

Chimpy

Don't be to harsh on the cooper's, I've been running around on a set of 33in STT's mud terrain. for the past 3 years coming up in May, I've been over the West then up the top through the Kimberley rangers lots of rocks but done more on the black top and still not one puncher, you will notice road noise but get use to that. the new all terrain would do the job check em out, And I think with any aggressive tread you just have to adapt your driving to the conditions Hope that helped ? Happy Driving

Had coopers on my patrol when I got it, terrible terrible tyre, shocking on a wet road. Replaced them with Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ which were much much improved - they didn't like the red clay though. When I got the Navara it had coopers so I dumped them immediately and put Kuhmo KL71 MT's on it, brilliant tyre. Very grippy, phenomenal offroad and cheap! 32's were $280 each!

I have a FJ Cruiser, it still has the OEM road tyres on it (40,000kms and still going, over 30,000 on the black top). I'll probably look at ProComp all terrains when they need replacing. The FJ is a 17" rim and 75-80% of my driving is on bitumen at the moment.

My 2 bobs worth - Tyre choice is down to a number of things.

Make and model of vehicle.
Intended use.
Personal Preference
Budget

What I have done is research the Cruiser forums, because this is my 1st 4x4. The general comment is the ProComp All Terrain is good both on the bitumen and on the dirt, state upto 80,000kms on them, lower road noise than some other brands and moderately priced. I'll do another search before I replace the existing tyres.
I will need 5, so I do a 5 wheel rotation on my current tryres.

So my suggestion is read what others with the same vehicle, are doing. What suits my FJ may not suit a Rodeo or a Navara etc.

Had BFGs they were great lasted ages and plenty of trips out in the bush. I got the Bridgestone ATs and had nearly a dozen punctures in 6 months, the rubber seemed to be softer and I was getting mulga etc staked through em. I have got the Mickey Thompsons now and am very happy with them, good on the road and bush.

DD

Diggerdude said:
I have got the Mickey Thompsons now and am very happy with them, good on the road and bush.

DD

I'm happy with my MThompsoms. I had Bridgestone on factory they wore out 30000 KM

Iv worked with tyres of all sizes for nearly 10 years iv have 6 different 4x4's
And been up the bush most weekends since I got my licence 12years ago me and the wifey have been to just about every hut open to the public in the vic alpine.
I wouldn't be putting on anything but. BFG AT there the best iv seen so far best Mileage for $, and the quietest on the road full stop.
If you haven't got the coin for BFG the American Hercules would be my next choice generally $60-$100 a tyre cheeper.
If you require a MT go the Mickey thompsons next choice would also be the hercules MT.

Just a note: get (5) rotate the (5) every 10000km check the pressure every trip look after those tyres
Coz it's the most cheapest thing between you and the road.

I know you said you wanted ATs but I have had Maxxis Bighorn mud terrains on the 80 series for over 18 months.

They have about 45000 Kms on them now and they are about half worn.

I put them on to go to Cape York July 2012. We did the CREB track and the old telegraph track and they were excellent.
They are a pretty tough tyre and I have never had a puncture.

They are reasonably priced but the only downside with Mud terrains is that they are noisy.

Redfin said:
Interested in what tyres you run on your 4by and what your impressions are.
I'm just about up for a new set and am looking at

BFG T/A KO
Bridgestone 694
Bridgestone 697

The all terrain specs, 70% road 30% off road pretty well sum me up.
and of course cost will be a factor.
Coopers do not come into the equation, have seen too many fail.
Ron

I bought BFG A/T for the Disco 2. Got 6 of them and i rotate every 10,000Km - seems are they lasting forever :D

casper

I ended up with the 697's, very happy.

1391922219_ct_165.jpg_thumb.png

Latest posts