What is This?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golden Tiger

Trent
Reaction score
About a month ago the family and I went to Phillip Island, and one of my son's picked this up at the beach and was using it to draw on the concrete at home. When one of his brothers came along and broke it (as brothers do). To much of my surprise it is very hard inside like a rock. It has a small cavity which you can just see in the photo which has a small crystal lining. Any idea what it might be? My first thought was coral, What do you think?

1391266457_what_is_this..jpg

1391266484_what_is_this_2..jpg

My non-expert opinion is a bone of some sort. Could you post another picture with the two pieces put together as one?

You get the same sort of stuff falling out of eroding dunes on the Mornington Peninsula ocean beaches - all weird and crooked shapes. Petrified wood is also found on a beach down near Cape Schank and the core of those specimens is identical to yours however without the limestone crust.

casper

I'll post a picture of them together when I finish work. Don't finish until 1:30am so it will be up tomorrow.

I had never thought of bone. Maybe it is.

Casper, do they have any crust at all ?

Kinda looks like pipe clay thats been fossilised.
I find the odd rock up here like that, not usually with a crystalline centre. Mostly their red clay coloured sometimes yellowish brown or cream with centres of black stone or smaller basalt pebbles inside. Usually they look like water worn sandstone in the river until you hit them with a shovel.
Wish I had a photo of one to compare it to yours but looks similar.

Ok, so here are a few more pics.

Does anyone have any idea who i can take this to, to get a positive identification?

1391410931_1..jpg

1391410958_2..jpg

1391410997_3..jpg

1391411022_4..jpg

1391411047_5..jpg

1391411069_6..jpg

Looks a lot like flint with a calcification/limestone build up on the outside. This type of material is very prolific along the coast at Port MacDonald SA - just down the road from Mount Gambier.

Thanks guy's for all your answers but I think Dughug has hit it on the head.

After doing some research on flint and cross referenceing it with minerals found in the location I'm 95% sure it's flint.

Ahhh what a relief.

I don't think flint would be hollow like that it is more like fossilised coral. The place to have it checked is the geology department of your nearest university or perhaps a geologist in the state government.
Golden Tiger said:
Thanks guy's for all your answers but I think Dughug has hit it on the head.

After doing some research on flint and cross referenceing it with minerals found in the location I'm 95% sure it's flint.

Ahhh what a relief.

I reckon it could be Fulgerite that's had a spell in the waves. Not too sure how durable they are when meeting the surf, i've allways had the belief that they're quite fragile but you never know.
In case you're not in the know of Fulgerite, think Lightning bolt hitting the beach and turning the sand into half baked crystaline glass. :D

Hit it with abit of vinegar, if its a fulgerite it wont fizz (fused SiO2) if its carbonate based it will

I was thinking lightning strike on first glance as well, but then wasn't sure if it should have more branching and if it would have time to form the crystals, but after looking up pics of fulgerite it looks very much like it. So +1 for fulgerite.

Latest posts