What have we got ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22230

Gavin of Garfield
Reaction score
Little curious as to what this items purpose is ? was ? Ideas 🤔

Tool.jpg

Tool 1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks a bit like an old can opener but it is all a bit backwards 🤷‍♂️
That's what I was thinking, NE. There's a hook that would fit over the rim and act as a fulcrum for leverage, a spike to penetrate the lid and if the straight section is a blade, it's gotta be a can opener.

That's what I was thinking, NE. There's a hook that would fit over the rim and act as a fulcrum for leverage, a spike to penetrate the lid and if the straight section is a blade, it's gotta be a can opener.
The blade bit seems like it should be reversed and a little more curved though.

It is certainly a curious little implement. It looks like a tool of its own being rather than fitting onto something else.

Someone on here will know exactly what it is. My guess is it will be Moneybox that is the knower!! ;)

To me it looks more like a specific tool/key rather than a can opener. Never seen anything like it though. Maybe a ratchet tool or something along those lines 🤔 🤷‍♂️

Size?

Metal type, thickness? (ie. strength)
Handle is 230 mm with 25 mm diameter. Agree with comments, appears backwards to be used as a can opener ? I'm thinking even a leather working tool of some sort, as RM suggests more a specific use type tool 🤔 I feel the spike part is more as a guide / rest than actually something used to puncture anything with. To me is to blunt and fat as a item to puncture ? Not sure hence the asking.

Last edited:
Looks a bit like a pry bar for a bycle tyre but I dont see a flat bit on the other end ? The hooky bit goes around a spoke. Screenshot_20221230_083646.jpg

Handle is 230 mm with 25 mm diameter. Agree with comments, appears backwards to be used as a can opener ? I'm thinking even a leather working tool of some sort, as RM suggests more a specific use type tool 🤔 I feel the spike part is more as a guide / rest than actually something used to puncture anything with. To me is to blunt and fat as a item to puncture ? Not sure hence the asking.
That's way bigger than I'd have guessed - I was thinking about 75 x 10mm. Forget the can opener theory.

Could be something along the lines of a tent peg puller as in slide it onto the peg from the side and pull up. Is only a guess. Is the spike part of it sharp?

Answer found, is an old windscreen removal tool that you could get in both left or right hand. This tool was old but never used. Depending on which side of screen you were working on governed which one you used. . 👍 👍

RM a box full was found at the local tip, all new. A mate down your way lives in Euroa have a local get together night where all the old gunnies get together with finds and artifacts. Was a guy there worked as a windscreen fitter decades ago identified it. 👍 Makes sense as the pointer bit I always felt was a rest or guide and would have been to keep the actual blade proud of the body of vehicle.
Here is another interesting one thats about to be donated to museum from same mate. Also bit of a story regards it.

Kelly Gun.jpg

Kelly Gun 1.jpg