What do you when the power goes out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just about to watch tv and cook tee. Thunder rumbles. Mmm walked outside and look over the valley. Lightning crackled and at least 4 lightning stikes. Power out....again. you get that in S.A. Well then look around for some AA batteries using my phone as light. Found some . Put in lantern. ..yep flat batteries. Go to Caravan and bring in led light from there awsome. I have light ! Now cooking tee, yep we have gas. I can have a shower because we have overhead tank but , was going to pump water up there today and forgot to. Hand basin wash tonight.
Just makes you realise how much we depend on power. Quieter though.

Enjoy the quiet and don't let your own thoughts drive you mad Being in SA atm I always have a spotlight handy.
Those led drill battery power ones are really good
1538476635_ctbjpiyviaank7a.jpg

Yep that yould be a good idea if I could have found the charger for it before storm hit.
All god. Thinking I might invest in a decent gen set one day when funds permit.
Its all good playing 1323 on my phone and bluetoothing through the boombox and kookin tee.
You gotta wondrr what would happen after a couple weeks wihout power though.
And our you bewt battery back up system the govt paid through the nose for is useless in remote areas like ours when the transformers get hit with a bolt of lightning which is I think happened here tonight.

Long term back up say, 2 or more months without power or fuel as in diesel gas or petrol. What's you're back up plan ?
I think we could survive okay. Country upbringing and all but , a lot of you blokes are the same but, there are those in P.A. that are not haven't been outside of a big town.
What are you going to do if we have to back to basics ?

7.62marksman said:
Mmmmm walk outside and turn the generator on 6kva
That's okay but what happens when you run out of fuel. Beg borrow or steal fuel ? There comes a point where it gets dangerous. Lets not forget about Water ..some people have tanks. Fridges only last so long. Food then goes off. Gets really scarry real quick.
Makes you think. Look at the poor Indonesians atm. Poor buggers.

American " survivalist " think along those lines wishful. Interesting to give it a thought but hopefully never needed.

We had a planned outage 6hrs last week so I got out the generator. Pre-primed it the day before. When power went out at 0858 pulled the cord beauty, the fridge and freezer were ok. A little while later it stopped. I forgot to put in on "run". Could not restart. Have a secondary 800W genny and it started first pull and ran for 5 hrs.
Result - a bloody sore back and am in agony standing and walking etc.
Never, never should have tried to restart the big one.
I am back waiting for the pain to ease and will ring the doc today to see if i have damaged the spinal stimulator!!!
Bloody IDIOT I am.

Keystart gen Jaros, no brainer if you have a back problem.

I'm surprised more people in SA aren't off grid.

Failing that you guys could set up co-ops where say 5 houses put in for an off grid setup and you only draw essential power from it in the event of an outage.

i'd run a cord to the power station parked in the shed (my forbie) set up the solar mat and wait for the mains to return :cool:
more than enough electrickery to run the house :power: :power: :power: :perfect:

Jaros said:
We had a planned outage 6hrs last week so I got out the generator. Pre-primed it the day before. When power went out at 0858 pulled the cord beauty, the fridge and freezer were ok. A little while later it stopped. I forgot to put in on "run". Could not restart. Have a secondary 800W genny and it started first pull and ran for 5 hrs.
Result - a bloody sore back and am in agony standing and walking etc.
Never, never should have tried to restart the big one.
I am back waiting for the pain to ease and will ring the doc today to see if i have damaged the spinal stimulator!!!
Bloody IDIOT I am.
Jaros, that is no good, hopefully no damage done to the stimulator and things will settle down. It's my biggest fear, the wife has hit the deck twice since her brain stimulator went in and the first thing I do is check its all ok and no damage body wise around the wound sites and leads.
Hope it all turns our for the best it's been a long journey.
Cheers Manpa

Thanks mate. You know, when you begin to feel a "bit" better you naturally begin to do things you haven't been able to do for quite a while. I am sorry to hear about your wife's tumbles and hope she is recovering steadily.
Cheers Jaros.

Wishfull said:
Long term back up say, 2 or more months without power or fuel as in diesel gas or petrol. What's you're back up plan ?
I think we could survive okay. Country upbringing and all but , a lot of you blokes are the same but, there are those in P.A. that are not haven't been outside of a big town.
What are you going to do if we have to back to basics ?

Do you know something we dont Wishfull?

Ill be right, I have an idea :Y:

1538531297_f7f83eef-cb1c-43ae-922d-b1e4866b8c3b.jpg

Latest posts