What do you prefer - Leatherman or Gerber?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Gerber. Probably won't find many people who have had both long term to compare. My Gerber has been fine. And it only cost me it $10. I bought a few and sold the others on Ebay. Gotta love when BCF has a major clearance sale :)

Hi Gav.
Dont know much about the Gerber Tool but Ive owned my Leatherman Supertool for over 15 years. Made in Portland, Oregon USA
Originally bought it when I went backpacking through Europe [u could get it through customs back then].
Still take it with me when I go hunting of prospecting. It lives on my belt. Mind you I do take care of it [I dont use it to cut down trees] No rust and blades still cut like the devil.
z0r5.jpg

1379195755_image.jpg

I have a Bucktool. I bought it almost 20 years ago and have been using it extensively with out a fail. It was expensive (about $150 back than) but it will last me for rest of my life. I bought it because of the pivot system. When you use the pliers they dont dig in to your hands. I have been very happy with it.

I got given a Leatherman for my 40th in April & it's been on my belt ever since. Gets used every day.
Very happy with it & feel lost without it.

My old Australian Army Clasp knife. Guaranteed to survive WW3. Blade and a pig -sticker - that's it. Oh and can be used to open long-necks.

I received a Leatherman as a departure gift from an ex employer, they're great quality bit of gear and last forever if treated right. I haven't used any others at this stage.

I like the look of the Bucktool. Most of my friends have Leathermans and they have had it since they were fetuses and theirs are still as good as the day the got them. I guess seeing Bear Grills advertising the Gerber tools made me think that it was more along the "TV" promo lines but it does seem pretty good quality as well.

I guess you definitely get what you pay for and it does become a part of you. Good care and not trying to mow the lawn with them would probably see that they give you many good years of service and they would be invaluable in the field too.

This is the Victorinox Multi tool.

1379225859_victorinox.jpg

I have the older model Gerber multi tool, it has been a great bit of kit. I swapped it with a American while I was in Rwanda in 1994.

I also have a victorinox multi tool and that is very similar to the leatherman. I like the gerber as the pliers are a lot stronger than the leatherman.

Both are great tools.

Seeing as we're doing show n tell :D

Discolouration is due to being used extensively in a saltwater (fishing) environment. Has been inside the mouth of countless fishes. All it gets is a freshwater rinse (if I remember to)

1379293976_dsc01278_medium.jpg

1379293997_dsc01279_medium.jpg

I'm a Gerber man personally. I have been using them for years. I have one on my belt, one in the car, one in the wife's car and a few other strategically placed.

I had a Leatherman30 yrs ago that was purchased on a US trip.

The pliers broke across the hinge in less than 12 months & Was not honoured as far as warranty was concerned.
The tool was not abused or used in anyway other than you would normally use a pair of pliers.
In my opinion they are crap.
Buck has always been a good brand .

Had both. Both have there merits.
Better blades on the gerber.
Gerber snub nosed rope saftey knife are really good in the scrub.
Im using one to teach the kid knife skills.
Actually i have four.
Love saftey awards.

Latest posts