wet sand

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Minelab 305 with the standard 9" , 7.5 kHz coil, I have a had a few searches at the beach on dry sand with great success, however, when I get into wet sand I get a lot of false targets reading (-4) which on my machine is IRON, ....my question is - what coil would I need to successfully search in wet sand.?

You need a new detector for wet sand - it doesn't seem that any of the 305/505/705 range likes wet sand or water very much.

We have been successful using the Minelab Sovereign, Explorer, Excaliber, or CTX3030 - all work well on the beach in wet sand.

The 305/505/705 range are great in parks, tot lots and dry sand so I would save your money for another detector rather than buying another coil to get similar results.

The detectors I am suggesting use a different detecting technology (BBS) than the 305/505/705 range, it uses multiple frequencies at the same time to overcome the salt and water of the lower beach.

Probably didn't want to hear that but I wish someone would have advised us of that before we purchased... (I didn't know to ask the question beforehand of course)

I went through same problems as you on my 305.

You are better off on the beach with a 18.75khz coil, I got the 6" 18.75 and did all right, but you have to GB regularly. It really is not the best in the wet, I reckon you are better off sticking to the dry with the 305.

Same with my At Pro. Ok in dry sand but not in the wet. Went out with sandta the other day. He got a good signal with his sovereign down in the wet sand. Ran my pro over it... silence.

Latest posts