Weighing a gold specimen

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Found a gold specimen yesterday and decided to do a specific gravity test to determine the approximate gold content. Thought I'd share this task with you as I performed the test and calculations.

There is quite a bit on the net about this process and there appears to be a few variations on how this operation could be performed. After looking what was involved, I decided to use an approach that was as simple as possible. I ended up using information from a couple of sources to keep the whole operation a short and uncomplicated task. The test was based on a specimen that contained gold and quartz.

Step one was to find the specific gravity of the sample. Gold has a SG of about 19.3 (19.3 times as heavy as water for the same volume) and quartz has a SG of about 2.65. The sample was weighed on a set of scales
1504260080_img_0315.jpg

A small container of water was then placed on the scales and then the Tar button was pressed to zero the scales. A piece of thin cotton was tied to the specimen which was then suspended in the water. I held the piece I so that it did not touch the bottom or sides of the container. The level of the water increased in the container equal to the volume of the specimen. The weight shown ( in grams) is also equal to the volume of the gold specimen (in cubic centimetres)
1504260160_img_0316.jpg

To find the specific gravity of the sample piece, the dry weight is divided by the volume. In my case: 6.16 /1.68 = 3.667

I then used a chart taken from Gold Prospecting WA
To calculate the percentage of gold in the sample. Using the table, I found the specific gravity that was closest to my sample (left hand column) and then was able to look up the approximate % of gold in the quartz. (Right hand column)
1504260244_img_0318.jpg

This takes less time than manually performing the calculations required. As you can see from the segment of the table, the percentage of gold in my specimen is approximately 32.06. (Actually a little more than what was in the table but the difference is only minimal) The actual weight of gold is then calculated as 32.06% of the specie dry weight.
(.3206 x 6.16 = 1.975g) Obviously this is an approximation and there may be some error due to impurities in both the gold and quartz but it does give a reasonable indication the gold weight.

Hope this is of some help to others wanting to perform a similar calculation.

Cheers

Les

Excellent right up Lesgold :Y:
I have never done this but am confident now if I get a speccy i will be giving it a try using your post :p
Well done

Checks out LG.
I use a an Excel spreadsheet for these calcs.
Assumptions:
1. The host rock is pure (i.e.: Ironstone OR Quartz, but not a combination)
2. All air bubbles have been removed once immersed (knocking the speccie on the jar bottom a few times)
3. Slight adjustment for watertemp.
4. Slight adjustment for gold purity (averages around 95% in the GT, with 5% Silver and small traces of Copper etc)
1504308315_sg_picture.jpg

Excellent work BigwWave. Was hoping some of you wizards could improve on what I was doing. Thanks for confirming my calculations. Interesting to see that the other impurities in the piece did not impact greatly on the final weight of pure gold. Would love to see your calculations for the spreadsheet. (Could do it myself but why reinvent the wheel. And my head would hurt by the time it was sorted) Could also be a valuable resource for other members attempting this task. Thanks again for you input. The education we all receive because of the knowledge that is willingly shared makes PA a top forum site.

Cheers

Les

No improvement LG, as your results were spot on.
I have laid my calcs out a little differently, and included the Excel formulas in red (just leave out the literals).
1504418130_sg_picture_-_a.jpg

limpalot said:
I need to do my sg of my speci again, does anyone have a copy of the chart from WA Prospecting Lesgold has mentioned.
Maybe make this a sticky for reference.

It's already a sticky John in Metal detecting for Gold 3rd one down :Y:.

Latest posts