Wee Jasper or GG?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all.
I have seen a fair few posts on wee jasper and fossicking out there but I think all the posts I was looking at were last years and I just wanted to ask about the current state of access through the black berries?
Im trying to decide if I should go out to Wee Jasper or GG next weekend and was more leaning towards Wee Jasper because I thought there may be fewer people around and I dont want to look like a dork not knowing what Im doing in front of so many people LOL!
Has anyone been out recently? Would it be possible to cut access at all?
where would you recommend for an absolute complete newbie beginner?

* My apologies if this has already been done or is on the wrong section.

Thank you :)

not many people going out now to cold it helps to have some one there to give you some tips on where to dig and how to use sieve we all started as newbies :)

thanks richo, cold doesn't bother me but hopefully the cold means it will be quiet.
i know everyone started as a newbie but i'm really rather hopeless at it haha

i am tempted to take a hand slasher and rake with me and fight through blackberry with them both to get places others have not been for ages

you might notice that straight after a bush fire has been somewhere , experienced detectorists will pop up out of nowhere within days for that access

:)

Prospecting is all about following you nose and letting you heart lead you there in the first place, both places will be a winner, staying at home will only suppress the soul.

Enjoy

Spud said:
Hello all.
I have seen a fair few posts on wee jasper and fossicking out there but I think all the posts I was looking at were last years and I just wanted to ask about the current state of access through the black berries?
Im trying to decide if I should go out to Wee Jasper or GG next weekend and was more leaning towards Wee Jasper because I thought there may be fewer people around and I dont want to look like a dork not knowing what Im doing in front of so many people LOL!
Has anyone been out recently? Would it be possible to cut access at all?
where would you recommend for an absolute complete newbie beginner?

* My apologies if this has already been done or is on the wrong section.

Thank you :)

I will be heading out this week end too just hard to decide but my issue is that I am a newbie too so I am still learning the ropes as they say

Check out WalnLiz vids on GG and you can't go wrong, you may get a few if your lucky. GG would probably be the easiest spot to get a feel for it in my opinion. There are Sapphs there but you really have to work for them.

Last time i went to Grabben Gullen I only got one poor quality sapphire for the entire day. The couple fossicking just up the creek from us had similar luck. Haven't been to Wee Jasper but I have heard the blackberries there are pretty out of control.

I am also a NEWBIE and I went to GG for my first trip. Got taught the ropes by Terry, who was nice enough to show me the minimum to get me going. We where there for 6 or so hours and I got saphires, zircon, tourmaline and some other bits and pieces. Find someone to go with to help you as its harder than it looks. I am thinking of going next weekend or the weekend after for one last try before the water turns to ice. If you want to tag along let me know. Dan

Hey Daniel just saw your post, i think you are right - def need someone to physically show me what to do and look for. we are hoping to head out this weekend weather providing, maybe even camp the night :)

Is anyone planing a trip to GG any time soon , i have a bit of an idea what I'm doing but would like to go with someone who has a good idea if possible , went to GG today but the weather turned bad not long after we got there so didnt get a chance to get into it , if this post is in the wrong section just let me know , im still new to the forum.

Latest posts