Water Availibility, Location VIC

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condor22

Mike
Reaction score
The first, and probably most important question, I ask of myself when free camping in the Golden Triangle, VIC, is;

Where can I get water? (without stealing it) It's a question I sometimes ask of others and being from S.A. I only know of a few.

So I figured I'd start a thread on water availalability i.e. location, potability etc. (I am only referring to camping/caravaning quantities, cooking, washing, drinking etc. NOT sluicing)

Here's my input and happy to have it added to.

AVOCA - accross the road from the caravan park there is a dump point, next to which there is a tap and small hose for washing portable toilet cartridges.
I wouldn't drink it, but ok for the van tank, re showering and dishwashing etc. Easy to fill 20 lt jerries.

WAANYARRA Camp - I believe there are 2 rainwater tanks, I was told that one had been treated and wasn't usable, the other ok.
Don't know the quality or if a jerry will fit to the tap.

Areas I'd like to know about but don't include;

KARRI TRACK (Maryborough)
TEDDINGTON WIER CG
DUNOLLY
TARNAGULLA
MOLIAGUL
WEHLA
WEDDERBURN
INGLEWOOD
KOOYOORA

BTW to prevent "Delhi Belly" I only drink and brew with bought cartons of spring water. Don't want to boil water to drink unless absolutely necessary.

But dishes, clothes and showers aren't as critical.

At TARNAGULLA you can get free drinkable water, it can be found at the caravan park (TARNAGULLA OVAL) the tap is located on the fence line of the caretakers home, there is a hose attached to it.
Additionally you can shower there also .. there is a dollar coin operated system... one dollar = approximately 3 minutes use.

Note on WAANYARRA Campsite: .. The tank beside the toil block use only as wash water.
.. The tank beside the shelter shed on the oval has a tap at the nearby BBQ .. it is low and a bucket will be required if there is any water. It is 'said' that it is drinkable ?

Thks,

As I have a shower in my new van I won't need the showers there, but I have camped in the State Forrest nearby in my old van. Nice to know where the taps are lol...

One trick I learnt was to take some black plastic bags. You can tie them over a small bush with a stone inside to weigh them down and the water that evaporates from the plant drops out of the bag and into a dish. Likewise a washing up tub with suspect water in it, then place a cup in the middle of the tub. Place black plastic over the top and a small stone on top and in the centre of the plastic. The water evaporates and drops into the cup.

Blindbat said:
One trick I learnt was to take some black plastic bags. You can tie them over a small bush with a stone inside to weigh them down and the water that evaporates from the plant drops out of the bag and into a dish. Likewise a washing up tub with suspect water in it, then place a cup in the middle of the tub. Place black plastic over the top and a small stone on top and in the centre of the plastic. The water evaporates and drops into the cup.

I worked for the military for near 30 years, I'm survival trained in desert, jungle and bush environments. However as you can see by my previous post, I have a shower van etc etc. A garbage bag spread over a small pit, stone and leaf matter at the base and depending on ambient temp and humidity, might produce 1 litre a day. That's a lotta bags n holes to run a caravan. Certainly not the go in a Victorian winter.

My question was not aimed at survival, but known mains or rainwater availability such as the couple I mentioned at the beginning of the thread and as said, without stealing it.......

Hey Condor .. Looks like we will have to steal it .. no one wants to share any info beyond what you have discovered yourself ... maybe our neighbours fear if we come and stay for a while, we might walk away with all that they couldn't find.... LOL

Hi Condor22,

Kooyoora has water at the state park -Melville Caves picnic ground has shelter, toilets and water.
Camping is permitted at the Melville Caves camping ground situated 1 km past the main picnic ground.
http://www.wedderburn.vic.au/kooyoora-state-park.

Inglewood the park at Grant st. S and Calder highway has a tap available, a jerry can could be filled.

cheers winnemucca

I'm taking note also of the watering holes .. chances are we wont die of thirst leaning against a tree holding a nugget in one hand and a detector in the other.

Thank you Winnemucca for contributing to this thread.

Latest posts