Wanted: 1/2 gram gold nugget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is anyone willing to sell me a 1/2 gram gold nugget please?

It doesn't have to be attractive, just gold.

Can you please PM me with the details and a picture.

Matt

Hi looking. After I found my first nugget (0.7g) it gave an upper on my 4500. So I bought a 0.7g chunky (rounded) from the local prospector shop to compare (they price nuggets at gold value plus say 10 or 20% - so good value), and it gave a downer signal (same settings/depth). Glad I did, cause now I dig nearly everything. No harm/shame in buying a calibration piece, but just know that if you can find shotty pellets and 22 slugs yell/scream at you, then you're up to finding gold.

I have a some left if you like some. these all come from Western Creek Station :)

1456213948_p1020421_medium.jpg

aussiefarmer said:
What for ? You have me intrigued

I suggested to use one to get a handle on the settings for his 7000. It certainly helped me.

The way I started to get a handle on my machine was to start using factory settings. I then got myself a small 1/2 gram nugget, potted it into epoxy, painted it so I wouldnt lose it -

1456214264_file_22-09-2015_2_24_31_pm_small.jpg

- and then used that to test my settings on the ground I was in. I would throw it on the ground (after I have done a ground balance) and then change the sensitivity to get a response at the greatest distance. My way of thinking is that by doing this I can get the best settings to find gold in the type of ground I was in.

Using this method I got a good feel for the machine and I can now do the setup by ear.

looking, you also need to know what you want. Victorian GT, vs Qld (Palmer river etc) vs SA vs WA. - They're all very different. Even in the same general areas they're all different; coming as flakey/rounded or as specimens with quartz, ironstone, laterites etc. So you need to state what you want and why. As Sol stated in the Caltex ads: "Oils ain't oils". So it is with nuggets.

BigWave, it won't matter too much if he is using it for the purpose I suggested. It's basically being used to get the greatest detecting distance in the ground type he is detecting.
You could use a lead piece but a bit of gold gives a better response.

Hi Looking,

Where are you based.

I have a selection of small nuggets that would suit you.

If you send me a pm with your email I will send you some pics
As I don't know how to attach pics in a post.

Cheers
Qlden

Thanks bigwave and SteelPat,

I reached out to Pat for some help, who has been very helpful and offered some adivce with getting to know my Zed. I have found everyone on PA to be helpful when asking question due to being very green at my new hobby. It's a great forum with a great bunch of like minded people.

I really didn't think it mattered too much where the gold nugget was from and I wasn't looking to start any arguments on here lol.

I live in Port Macquarie, but will be back in Victoria again Friday next week for two weeks of solid detecting, based in Ballarat and day trips from there.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts