Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note Last time I used My walbanker I was processing dirt, with 2 people tipping buckets pre sieved dirt 1/4 in sieved it was 2 fast I seen the dirt gather before the mesh. Some gold floated over the mesh and made it into the lake . When I operated by myself I got better results. results By myself 4.75 grams/ 2 loads dirt, by myself I never filled them tums right up so (maybe a extra 10-20% more dirt in second load + a extra full load) only 6 grams collected . I panned some Cons near the Walbanler exit drop and found some gold. We

know after I dig 1 ton dirt in 35+ heat beer break looks good

Lesson learnt, Slower feed ,Drink more beer and keep Hydrated .

Now its getting to 40+ digging ending :)

Ryjan said:
Hi guys,
I have been through every page of this DIY and am now motivated to start my own uild. For those that are having issues sourcing i had luck with the following,
Cable Tray - CNW Electrical and also JR Turk.
Miners Mat (backed) - Purchased the same as Wals from bunning and then found the exact same mat in the reject shop for $4
Expanded metal - Locker Group or local scrap metal yard.
Bread Crate - If you in SW sydney let me know i have 4 or 5 of them free to a good home.

Hope this helps some people on where to look.I will hopefully be starting my build this weekend

there is some ugly tall guy willing to sell Ali expanded metal cut to size if you look in the for sales section

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=98508#p98508

i would send you a PM but i have not learnt to use the force yet, once i reach 10 posts i can level up and become a "real boy". Ive got a mate seeing if he has some in his bunch of crap but if he comes up short, which i assume he will, i will get in touch. Where abouts are you?

Ryjan said:
i would send you a PM but i have not learnt to use the force yet, once i reach 10 posts i can level up and become a "real boy". Ive got a mate seeing if he has some in his bunch of crap but if he comes up short, which i assume he will, i will get in touch. Where abouts are you?

I have an engineering business in SW Sydney which is probably not far from the SW Sydney where you come from

get in touch if your other options dont shine forth.

i just had a look to see at some of your posts, i seen that damn leech van today at Oran Park and was laughing, then seen your photo of the van at cowpasture rd. I am sure i will be in touch.

Ryjan said:
i just had a look to see at some of your posts, i seen that damn leech van today at Oran Park and was laughing, then seen your photo of the van at cowpasture rd. I am sure i will be in touch.

considering how many leeches i see while wet prospecting i should maybe ask the guy how much he pays for leeches

Nugget ?

Are you feeling keen to create a new Leech hunting forum ?

wouldnt it be great if the leech collecting paid for fuel and food while the gold is a ++ bonus.... :)

for_Golds_sake said:
Thanks golddigg and Jarod.
Just managed to pick up the cable tray.
If anyone else needs some, they come in 2.4m length and a 300mm wide piece is about $30 from middys. Will also have some left over, so happy to share if anyone needs some.
Now I just need o find the alu mesh - does anyone know where I could buy some?

Hi Miss or Mister Golds-sake , i copied and posted this from above like the shameless hussy i am in case its useful for you

disclaimer: I may have a distant genetic connection to the person selling the Alu Mesh below

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=98508#p98508

WalnLiz said:
Very nice drawings there Rastys....My texta was on it's very last legs, so these drawings will save me a trip to shop for a new one. :D

Cheers Wal, :)

Thanks Wal & Rasta. I am about to take your drawings down to my local welder to see what his quote will be. I suspect a part of the price will be to take him on a few expeditions as he is a former fossicker himself.

I get a pretty large rooster tail from the centre of the top of the sloped expanded; thinking about either trimming the bit that is in contact with the sluice to halve the amount "thrown up", or running a rubber flap overlapping the start of the sloped expanded.

Thoughts anyone?

I'd go with trimming the top of the tail via rubber bit easier to undo if it doesn't float your boat. This does raise some questions though. ...

Marked said:
I get a pretty large rooster tail from the centre of the top of the sloped expanded; thinking about either trimming the bit that is in contact with the sluice to halve the amount "thrown up", or running a rubber flap overlapping the start of the sloped expanded.

Thoughts anyone?

You can trim the section that first contacts the slick plate so half the flow runs under the first web of expanded. I don't actually bother with this, as once the expanded is 3/4 full and displacement starts to occur this leading forward section benefits from the stronger boiler action. The gold will never leave the slick plate and will go under the small rooster tail and begin to concentrate under the 3rd and 4th webs. ;)

You should only notice the rooster tail when the sluice isn't fully loaded.

Wal.

My concern was that the rooster tail was washing out one of the openings in the expanded 2 or three rows in.

Yes, Goldtarget, I had asked myself a few questions as well; i.e.did I have too much flow/angle, etc. I might also recall that the expanded specs weren't exactly as per Wal; all I could get at short notice was 90x35mm opening, with max height of about 15mm - the old brainbox tells me the recommendation was 80x40xsomething? I can't find the thread where it was mentioned at quick glance.

Thanks Wal, I shall try that.

Hi wal just wondering where to get the alloy grid from it's the only thing me and pawny need to finish the walbanker it's a fun process making stuff yourself thanks for putting up all the pitchers

The specific mesh I use is extremely difficult to come by in small sections and usually needs to be purchased in a full sheet length. It's aluminium sloped expanded with a 40mm x100mm expanded gap and a combined side wall height of 15mm. This is the "Gold version" which is still great for some occasional sapphire hunting.

I get mine from a mesh supplier in Melbourne, but if you check the net for expanded metal mesh you may find suppliers in most capital cities.

My combination unit I use has a crate section at the end of 40cm with woven matting and an expanded section of 50cm. This is the unit I would recommend you make for yourself.

Best of luck with it,

Cheers Wal.

Hey guys just in the process of making the walbanker, what kind of pins do you guys use in the legs? I found some r clips but they don't come big enough I think we'll not that I can find is there anything else I can use?

Also I found some fairly gold rich ground but its amongst that red dirt that when it gets wet it turns into a thick muddy clay almost and blocks up my old banker. It also takes years to pan it and clean it lol. Will the walbanker break this down or is there another process for this like puddling?

With a correct Set spray bar ,and a good pump and pressure there,you should be able to process your dirt ,you may have to feed it a bit slower than other dirt .but I think if you build with the knowledge off this forum you will have no prob.

Pawny said:
Hey guys just in the process of making the walbanker, what kind of pins do you guys use in the legs? I found some r clips but they don't come big enough I think we'll not that I can find is there anything else I can use?

Also I found some fairly gold rich ground but its amongst that red dirt that when it gets wet it turns into a thick muddy clay almost and blocks up my old banker. It also takes years to pan it and clean it lol. Will the walbanker break this down or is there another process for this like puddling?

R-clips are what I used. Was able to stretch open the ones I had access to which made them useable by hand rather than needing a hammer to insert ...

Latest posts