waanyarra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, i was out around Waanyarra the other day and was hoping to use the highbanker by using water from the the dams around the back of the camp ground but somebody has dug out the side and let the water out, does anyone know why this was done,or was it by someone not thinking and hoping to find gold at the bottom of the dam and now the place hold no water, I hope not as that would be disappointing.

Which dam are you talking about J?
They all have names.
If not which track?

Hey Redfin, thanks for the reply yes definitely wet gully track on the Rhs with the old sluice race and pipe in it, it would only be 100-150m behind the the campers there Not far from the old cemetery across the road from the campers

I can't recall seeing water in that dam for a long time, but I don't use Wet Gully Track very often.

;) ......... that slope sheds some nice pieces especially after heavy rain. You will no doubt have already done much research on Jones Creek / Waanyarra and are aware where all the big nugget finds occurred I'm sure....but have you worked out where Secret Hill is?

casper

Is that the secret hill area that is heritage listed? If it is I know where it is, that is where they found a 52 pound nugget I think, is that right Casper ?

Also a bit of advice when detecting, when you are new to an area which I am at every area and you know gold has been found in that area and there are diggings do you rope off an area and just really go over it after you identify what looks like a likely area, or do you just have a wander and see if you are hitting any targets be they junk or led and the assume from that, that the area hasn't been heavily worked by detectors and then rope off and try, any advice welcome I'm all ears

Jafnob said:
Also a bit of advice when detecting, when you are new to an area which I am at every area and you know gold has been found in that area and there are diggings do you rope off an area and just really go over it after you identify what looks like a likely area, or do you just have a wander and see if you are hitting any targets be they junk or led and the assume from that, that the area hasn't been heavily worked by detectors and then rope off and try, any advice welcome I'm all ears

'Tis best to take a methodical approach to maximise the ground covered by the sweep of your coil and a common method is "chaining" ie a heavy chain connected to your belt that'll leave tell tale drag lines but it's more for sparsley vegetated sandy areas.

casper

Jafnob said:
Is that the secret hill area that is heritage listed? If it is I know where it is, that is where they found a 52 pound nugget I think, is that right Casper ?

Secret Hill is situated in the original alluvial diggings area and doesn't fall within a Heritage overlay**.

**I rechecked on GEOVIC before posting.

casper

Keep in mind that Secret Hill is one of the 'most' detected areas, and has been for over 30 years.
But no-one gets it all.
Purple lines are deep leads, green areas are shallow ground, white lines are reef.

1437181169_waan.jpg

Maybe it's just the puddler at secret hill diggings that is heritage listed, just some sites say it is a heritage area, but if it's not on your maps Casper then that must be right, thanks again

I gotta say, this site is fricken awesome and you blokes have been more help to me in one day than I've had for ages, I hope I can help you guys one day, by the way I have my own landscape business so if you need any advice on that sort of stuff give a shout out and maybe I'll be able to repay the debt with that sort of info and advice, I also have a fair bit of machinery which can come in handy in this game, anyway thanks again

Latest posts