Victoria - firewood collection points

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh that makes sense now.

Was prospecting this week when I
Saw 2 cars with trailers driving through. I
Have enough firewood though for 3 or 4
Years since i collect redgum fence posts
When available.

Thanks for sharing.

Just to clarify - if you are camping in the bush, collecting wood is OK. Collecting bits and pieces is also OK. Taking out trailer loads is not OK - its the on-selling that killed it all for us. Cutting down standing dead trees is almost a capital offence - ask any farmer!!

I made sure I got mine for next year before I went under the knife.
Some loads being cut and carried after 5pm is ridiculous, the rangers need some overtime.

Again another area of the bad spoiling for those who do the right thing.

Thanks for the link, the Forest Explorer Online Interactive Maps are great!

I only use the firewood while staying in the forests anyway, it only costs me $150 for a small truck load of Murray River Red Gum if i feel like stoking the fireplace at home.
Its delivered and all cut up for me, but i do understand that not all others have a ducted heating option like i do for winter and buying a whole supply for the season can be quite expensive.

Gee the penalties are quite stiff too!

Did give me a giggle though.....Imagine they bunk you up with your new cellmate and the conversation goes;

New guy: "Gday mate, what you in for?

Celly: "I murdered a drug dealer, you?

New guy: "Collecting firewood"

:p

Edit: Looks like the page for 'designated collection' areas is not available in interactive maps?

Meta - yes mate me too - too old for that nonsense now. Cut and delivered with scrap off the property to keep things clear and kindling.

Hi All,

Going up for a wander in the GT and during the where I'm I going process I noticed that the area I was going to select is in the firewood collection zone and the season commenced this month, my question is will there be much traffic and lots of chain saws going over the week end to spoil my solitude?

Most likely Phil......but this is not always a bad thing!

We only get a small window of opportunity each year to cut up the dead Ironbark and Box Gums laying on the ground and load the trailer to stock up at home.

While there may be a slight increase in traffic around these areas, remember that these people are not prospectors so they wont be checking the ground under from which they removed these dead trees that have most likely been lying there for years.

It could open up new ground that people have been walking over, unable to swing the coil because of the obstructions in the way.

Gold has been found by those who purposely move dead tree branches etc to open up new ground, previously unavailable.

Just my thoughts!

Cheers ;)

Thanks Wayne, thought that might be the case, just don't want to get in anyone's way or visa versa, plenty of room out there for all to enjoy and do there thing in. :cool:

Depending where you go, and what days, you might not even see anyone mate, especially during the week...Weekends you might see a couple cars cruise past camp but they could be prospectors too.

Dont worry dude, it wont be like Bourke St im sure!

Best of luck, and hope you get some gold mate. ;)

Metamorphic said:
Most likely Phil......but this is not always a bad thing!

We only get a small window of opportunity each year to cut up the dead Ironbark and Box Gums laying on the ground and load the trailer to stock up at home.

While there may be a slight increase in traffic around these areas, remember that these people are not prospectors so they wont be checking the ground under from which they removed these dead trees that have most likely been lying there for years.

It could open up new ground that people have been walking over, unable to swing the coil because of the obstructions in the way.

Gold has been found by those who purposely move dead tree branches etc to open up new ground, previously unavailable.

Just my thoughts!

Cheers ;)

Nice Mr Meta.. love the eternal optimism...a necessary trait in a prospector! :cool:

Metamorphic said:
Depending where you go, and what days, you might not even see anyone mate, especially during the week...Weekends you might see a couple cars cruise past camp but they could be prospectors too.

Dont worry dude, it wont be like Bourke St im sure!

Best of luck, and hope you get some gold mate. ;)

Thanks Wayne, got a couple of spots worked out so will be all good, as usual :)

Latest posts