(Vic goldfields history) Stoney Creek School/Australian Map

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This school is in a crown land forest area south west of Talbot Vic. It was active between 1865 - 1916. There is little there now except for trees that were planted as a garden and this map of Australia - this pic shows southern and eastern Aust. It is believed to have been done between 1905 - 1912 by the teacher Miss Elizabeth James and the kids. It is in a very good prospecting area and there are a couple of things to note. Prospectors have left it alone, the rock map is pretty well as it was 100 years ago, there is no ACT, there is no border between SA and the NT, so I am guessing it was made before 1911. Can you imagine what it was like going to school during the rushes considering that the school is in the middle of an old goldfields -Norfolk Gully, Devon Diggings etc.

1378268980_stoney_creek_school.jpg

I love finding the old school sites

Heres Lamplough School No.1239 which was a school from from 1873 to 1949. Although the gold rush went through Lamplough before this school was built, the rush begun and pretty much ended around 1860 this old school still stands but is on pvt property

Heres a pic i took of it

mmnj.jpg

Thanks Aussie me too. I really appreciate people who take time to enjoy the history of the goldfields.

I have been to Lamplough detecting and have missed this - probably because I came in from the Pyrenees Highway. This one just off the Avoca Sunrasia Highway across the road from the Clare castle Hotel site as marked on the Lamplough Map - my map does not have the school number - just near the New Avoca Lead?

Cheers mate

Coming from Avoca turn left on the Lamplough Greenhill rd and its just there on your right.

I found it coming back through some roads at the back of Amphitheater on the east side,
i was looking for old pub sites at the time

Aussie - did you realise you were retracing an historic rush? On the Sunday following the Lamplough discovery (26 - 27/11/1859) there were 500 diggers on the field. Come the 28/11/1959 there were estimated to be 3,000. They had come during the night from Talbot, Kangaroo and Amphitheatre!! There you go - you did the same! For your info, I did a bit of a quick look about possible relic sites - can't pin any down but there was certainly a post office - in 1860 the post office dealt with 91,296 letters and 21,203 newspapers. As for nuggets, there is a record that a 20 oz nugget was sold to the National Bank Lamplough in June 1860. So, there must have been some reasonable sites in there somewhere. I know the Homebush (Four Mile flat) goldfield is due north and there is the Avoca Lead School 813 (1865 - 1893) recorded just on the southern side of the Pyrenees Highway.

Yeah Loamer i was following the rush, good call, i also spend a fair bit of time when i can these days around the area and do a lot of research. I also followed the roads in from Back Creek (Talbot). I was last up there in May, i have been concentrating my research around Chewton these days but will head up around Avoca in possibly a few weeks.

cheers
Tony

Hi Loamer I just wanted to say how great it was to see the photo of the stone map of Australia at the Stoney Creek school. My great aunt was Elizabeth James (1872-1955) and a teacher at Stoney Creek and Clunes (and others schools) and the map of Australia was one of the stories that my mother remembered about her aunt. Would you mind if I copied the photo and added it to my history of the family? Once again many thanks.

Searcher72 - great family history!! By all means - copy away. I love how the place has been well respected as well.

Latest posts