Up that creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1440715407_p1010438-optimized-optimized.jpg
1440715624_p1010439-optimized.jpg
1440715641_pictures_2015_227-optimized.jpg

Some pics of our creek, found some very small gold, mostly a silver material just behind the gold in the pan. Is silver ?? silver in the pan ?? Soil is a red loam - clay, quartz reef, buckshot type rocks some basalt up the hill 300 m. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. We are in NE Vic.

Cheers John

Could possibly be tin. If you find a bit black bit that's magnetic, and its stays above the gold, put it in plies and crunch it to expose if there's a shiny metal under it. If it looks like solder it probably is tin. The tin in my pan can either be black, silver or very small flakes or leaf but still very heavy.

Looks very very interesting mate.

To me where your digging is either a dyke or an alluvial sort of fan deposit.

The earth has concentrated the rock there for some reason. Is your small gold tiny dots or somethin that's just big enough to feel under fingertip?

Hi Limpalot

Looks like a very nice bit of land you have there your very lucky to have your own gold bearing ground to prospect on that hasn't been hit time after time!, hope you find some good pay dirt their to keep you going for many years to come.

Cheers DD

Could be Molybdenite. ??
It shows up in quartz as a shiny dark metal and when it is weathered it is dark grey.
1440722475_molly.jpg

gold and tin plus silver can be associated with it as well.
Down here at the Black Range mines, They found pitchblende with it as well.

You should crush and pan those black pebbles to the left of the quartz..lol

Seems you may have a reef or vein system very close by mate. Have a look on google for gold indicators which are thin mostly dark veins smaller than 1cm wide which contain trace elements which can lead you to gold. But indicators a different by area or even quartz vein. See if you can find what indicators the old timers chased close to your area to give you a better idea of what to look for

If you expose a quartz vein under the rocks there I'd be looking for think dark lines or "laminations" of quartz

From the hosted picture of the quartz mixed in with the granite I would say you have a dyke hosted vein that may be carrying gold and sulphides