turtons creek vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all

I am new to prospecting and was just wondering if you can still pan for gold in turtons creek ?

Pan man said:
Hey all

I am new to prospecting and was just wondering if you can still pan for gold in turtons creek ?

Go here for an idea of the land administration around Turtons Creek http://nremap-sc.nre.vic.gov.au/MapShare.v2/imf.jsp?site=forestexplorer

Zoom in to Turtons Creek and take note of the white and grey areas - these are are the areas that you need to stay out of. Also fill your holes so that we recreational prospectors can continue to enjoy access this area.

Good luck

I know this is an old thread but visited there with the family today. Beautiful looking creek and waterfalls. They thought i was just being a good dad and taking them sight seeing but was a sneaky recon mission. Lol.Wondering if any members prospect up there?

bumdags said:
I know this is an old thread but visited there with the family today. Beautiful looking creek and waterfalls. They thought i was just being a good dad and taking them sight seeing but was a sneaky recon mission. Lol.Wondering if any members prospect up there?

Sounds gorgeous. Following your lead and reviving an old thread- I'm heading to South Gippsland for this week and am keen to explore Turtons Creek.

I have a river sluice etc. and a bunch of crevicing tools. I'm not familiar with the accessibility of the creek or it's "nature", so to speak. Are there areas of crevices to scratch? Or should I bring a big shovel and dig a deep hole instead? Any advice would be appreciated. Looking forward to it. I hear good things about the fern trees.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

Bring a long handle shovel and try and find the bottom. When I was there in 2015 there at No1 claim there was only a foot wide trickle of water and sluice stayed in the car. Back in 1870's when the creek was "rushed" the gold was found on a slate base and the "stripping" aka overburden varied from 3 to 6 feet but who knows what it is now after years erosion and silting due to the ground being worked over 3 or 4 times between the 1870's and 1930's. In any case it's definitely worth a visit.

Here's a link to a short vid I took on my last visit....

NB: turn the volume up. https://youtu.be/7_HmDVcyfLE

casper said:
Hi Steve,

Bring a long handle shovel and try and find the bottom. When I was there in 2015 there at No1 claim there was only a foot wide trickle of water and sluice stayed in the car. Back in 1870's when the creek was "rushed" the gold was found on a slate base and the "stripping" aka overburden varied from 3 to 6 feet but who knows what it is now after years erosion and silting due to the ground being worked over 3 or 4 times between the 1870's and 1930's. In any case it's definitely worth a visit.

Casper, I am trying to recall, but I remember an exposed slate bottom in the stream now. My memory is hazy, but I think the 3 to 6 feet related to gravel in the creek banks. not in the floor of the stream itself. Not sure.

The only bedrock i remember seeing was in the camping reserve below the falls. But no digging allowed in that area by memory.

goldierocks said:
casper said:
Hi Steve,

Casper, I am trying to recall, but I remember an exposed slate bottom in the stream now. My memory is hazy, but I think the 3 to 6 feet related to gravel in the creek banks. not in the floor of the stream itself. Not sure.

i think you're right - I am on shaky ground relying on memory at my age :) I seem to recall (here I go again :) ) reading that at the time of discovery that the gold was readily visible, glittering on the slate bottom, that suggests an exposed slate bottom ay.... I'll find the mention and post it here...

casper said:

Hi Casper,

Slow reply - very little reception here.

Nice little video. Looks and sounds very tranquil! Appreciate the advice too. There's been a little rain so let's see how I go tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Cheers, Steve

bumdags said:
The only bedrock i remember seeing was in the camping reserve below the falls. But no digging allowed in that area by memory.

Thanks, bumdags. I'll be able to make a brief trip there tomorrow and will post an update then.

casper said:
goldierocks said:
casper said:
Hi Steve,

i think you're right - I am on shaky ground relying on memory at my age :) I seem to recall (here I go again :) ) reading that at the time of discovery that the gold was readily visible, glittering on the slate bottom, that suggests an exposed slate bottom ay.... I'll find the mention and post it here...

..... the mining surveyor based at Foster was at Turton's Creek 4 days after the reported discovery and this is what he wrote:-
1606908550_screen_shot_2020-12-02_at_10.20.04_pm.jpg

....and here is his sketch of the goldfield ....
1606908639_screen_shot_2020-12-02_at_10.22.13_pm.jpg

these pics are snippets from a larger map.

casper

Latest posts