Trunkey creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1409486220_image.jpg

First bit of decent gold any one else hit the Abercrombie region much?

Good work mate.

Do you hit that area much? I was there about a month ago stayed up at the little house on the way to the cave got my first real gold there.
1409487783_image.jpg

No I'm from Sydney to mate just started exploring.
This is my first real gold to. We stayed at the pub at Trunkey Creek was tops $50 for the night good beer war fire good country feed . Not 5 star but I don't expect that and the mrs was a lot happier than a swag lol

Yeah, loved out there, heading back in a few weeks.

Hitting the whole area hill end, sofala right through to Abercrombie. Doing the swag trip, rough as tits

I am very lucky to have in-laws up that way who have several km of creek running through their property. There is certainly gold to be found, but the quantities and size are not as good as Tuena Creek. If I add up all that I have panned there over many weekends in the past 18 months, the total comes to about 15 gm, of which the largest bit is 0.45gm (see below) - but the sheer pleasure of being out there all alone makes up for the lack of gold.

Detecting has yielded zip other than many, many bullets and bits of wire. This creek was prospected during the 1850's and 1860's, but almost all diggings were shallow. I think that after the easy pickings straight out of the creek, not much else was found by the old timers on this particular stretch of creek.

DSC03787_DxO.jpg

DSC03710_DxO.jpg

DSC03893_DxO.jpg

That's a great spot mdv nice gold too and your right it's so nice just to be out there, the golds just a bonus.

I tryed tuena but no luck (near the road bridge near the camp ground) where do you recommend along there, trying to head back very soon for a crazy weekend pan.