Trip to Victoria this weekend - need ideas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So it's my partners birthday, and I'm organising a suprise trip to Victoria from sa.

Heading to Ballarat first to visit grandparents but then gonna have 3-4 days spare and wanna get onto some gold.

I wouldn't mind heading to eldorado but have no idea of the area, has anyone got maps or can steer me in the right direction.

Also if there are any places around Ballarat which I could be steered to as well!

Also I use pans and high banker, no detectors will be taken

Thanks guys!

Head up to Creswick only 40 minutes from Ballarat plenty of places to pan in the creeks. Then there's Daylesford there are many places around close to Ballarat.
cheers db

Hey mate I'm heading up there on Sunday to Maryborough to buy an sd 2100 if your keen to catch up let me know another mate of mine will come too.

hey digggertom

There's been some rain mate so theres pools to recirculate your banker all around. just be carefull of the wasps if you see them ... they ahve been pretty aggresive...not tryin to put you off just if you see them dont hang around ive been smashed on the face twice in the last week and it doesn't look good...

creswick down from camp 1 walk a little further than others are prepared to theres a nice ironstone bank buildup near a pool there (was last week anyway) up from camp 3 there should be some goood water as the creek was flowing ever so slowly. good luck

Head out towards Smythdale. There are 2 parks that you are allowed to prospect in, one is only about 15-20 minutes out of Ballarat the other about 30 minutes. DPI website has the names of parks you can prospect in, however the ones near Ballarat are:Enfield State Park (South towards Geelong, over half park available for prospecting), Paddys Ranges State Park (1hr North west. Large areas available), there are also numerous national parks in the Smythdale area... Be sure to check out your rights before heading there though unsure if you are allowed to prospect there. And finally there's old faithful Soverign Hill - for a bit of fun nothing serious. :D Be sure to let us know how you go!

Thanks guys! Gave creswick a go early on but there was not as much water as I was hoping, ended up in Eldorado and did alright, got a big smoky and a bunch of tiny gems in with the cons and probably a gram or so of gold. Going back to creswick tomorrow morning.

Stopped in at the gold shop in ballarat and and got a Vic gold atlas which came in handy.

Thanks
Tom

how long are you in creswick for mate? might be able to sneak away early and show you a spot. do you have a 4wd?

Latest posts