trench diggers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it leagal to use a trench digger in most states? Im guessing not.....but have to ask.
I what about cobras etc, a cobra is like a petrol driven jack hammer for those who are wondering.
Thinking handheld tools.
Was even thinking a snow plough type thing on the front of the hilux.....it could snow up here in darwin......climate change and all that.....

Could you claim your own territory, make your own rules and charge everyone else around you for being there?

To draw the crowds in to pay taxes you could place a sign out the front saying "free beer tomorrow".

Up here you can "tell" the land owner you are coming onto his property to fossic[good luck with that approach]better to ask,99% of the known gold bearing ground is leased allready,But you can fill in a form for the lease holder informing them you are coming and were you will be and what you use,They usually dont mind detectors but turn up with a D8 might be different.the only "public' Fossicing ground as far as i know is at Tennant creek,Alice springs and somewere on the tanimi.

Spring hill and margeret diggings will become public in the near future, they are already under the proposed public fossicking areas.
Margeret diggings is approx 20sq km.
Going to checkout a spot on the other side of the hwy tomorrow, if nothing else, will be a great campsite next dry.
I might buy an EL lease next year, then I can use mechanical stuff, like a bobcat etc.
its pretty affordable too, surprised more people dont do it.

I think you might find it's not quite that straight forward or very cheap either with an EL. There's a fair bit of govt red tape involved with these kinda things usually.

You don't "buy" an EL as such. It's taken out over a specific area for exploration purposes which can include the use of mechanical equipment for drilling, trenching etc. but only up to the allowable size as per your EL conditions.
There are a whole heap of requirements that come with them like land access (Aboriginal Land Rights/consent, private landholders, access compensation etc.); rehabilitation; approval from Minister to sell anything found; annual reporting; meeting minimum expenditure requirements & so on.
http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Minerals_Energy/index.cfm?header=Mineral Titles

Would be good to see a member get into it & document the process along the way. It's doable but like Chewy said - lots of red tape to navigate & costs involved but it would be great to see someone actually progress through to a successful Mining Lease.

Yeah for sure. I wasn't trying to put you off the idea, just be aware the govt will stick it's hand out and it's nose in. But that's the same all over and people still go on to do it and have success. Good luck if you go futher with it. I would be interested to hear how it all works and how ya go with it. :)

Have already looked into it, wont go into any detail here just yet.
However, it actually is pretty straight forward, and relatively cheap.

Latest posts