treasureman`s ongoing finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SA Bogan and Paulmarr use electrolysis on their silvers considering the original state of most coins they find. You will have to keep an eye on the coin to ensure you don't go too far with the electrolysis, as the black coating comes off pretty quick in most cases. Slipped disc's method might be a bit less aggressive on the coins, just enough to loosen the black coating before giving a gentle rub with some more bicarb to remove the remainder..

Legends thanks. 60 minutes in the electrolysis bath?? Or bicarb bath? They are in now. Its been about 40 mins so far. I put 4 of my sulvers in that had bad blackness that wouldnt come off. Ill check again in 20 fingers crossed

Well this is as good as they are gonna get :( not as good as i hope, a lot of wear on the back. was hoping for minters.
And the other two at the bottom i put in too considering bicarb wouldnt remove them last week and they turned out better.
Win some lose some. Hope to find some more of these silvers. Has anyone found or heard anyone finding any old gold coins?
1414912626_dsc_4013.jpg

1414912626_dsc_4014.jpg

wow really? what type of condition was it in? Warn down or pretty good, low tide mark? Or up closer to dryer sand?
Pennies are as follows
2 x 1924, 1 x 1935, 1 x1938 & 3x 1943
1414914455_dsc_4017.jpg

1414914455_dsc_4018.jpg

Keep us informed TM,.....getting some good results happening with your finds,.... I use CLR as well, although there are some coins that it won't touch as wel.
treasureman said:
Thanks slipped disc. Would real electrolysis work or would u just do the simple method ?

not on pennys only on silver TM.
treasureman said:
Silver, do you think CLR will clean the penny's any more than what they are now?

Treasureman, I've heard tell of a fella who says that as they are worth only their weight in copper(excepting the rich reward finds 1930 penny, 1923 half penny etc,etc.) and as such he polishes them up with his wire brushes and dremel so as to have a nice shiny coin to show off instead of a hard to see copper that has no aesthetic value. in other words for the same value of coin(almost worthless) he prefers the shiny one to show off to the grand children and visitors whilst it regains its new natural patina over time,..albeit in a reduced value range.

i understand silver, not worth going into the process unless its a goodie like you say?
So today i went back to the same spot, it was a huge spot to cover but i did my best in the time given. and i thought id double check that hole 6 penny's came out of. and i got a slight signal only faint and i knew something else was in there, and and a 1942 3 pence came out. Woohoo. and the scanning begun (4 hours) and all else i found was this cool 1930 Gem Micromatic Razor in nice condition.

Question: will electrolysis damage the finish of silver coins? Or was this coin slightly damage already? I dont have before photo, put straight into elec for 30 mins then a bit of bicarb.
1414986272_dsc_4019.jpg

1414986272_dsc_4020.jpg

Electrolysis does not damage the coin - if you think about it - it is a very small current passing through - any worn metal on the coin was there before the bath and the electrolysis just exposes the existing damage. I know you found this in a park but when you think about the beach and the fact the coins have been in a saltwater bath for 40 years - an hour with a little electricity will have little effect on the already worn out coin!

thanks for clearing that up paulmarr.
Now that i think about it i did put some good condition 3 pence in yesterday and it came up mint with no damage.
So i imagine this spot, where i found 2x 6 pence yesterday, pennys and the 3 pence today all had similar wear, because it was in the open for 70 years with no tree cover.
I havent done any park hunting yet. Mostly bush hunting where no one has been yet. But yes if they were in the park they would be in similar condition due to the exposure and no shade, the coins i found in the bush with not much sunlight were in beautiful shape.
Hoping to find more of them suckas.

Im deciding on getting a new detector.
After find the 3 pence today i dropped the coin on the ground and hovered over in to realist it only picks up the small coin 5-6 inches on full sensitivity. LArger objects are different. But wanting a good detector that doesnt blow the budget that can go say 10 inches on a 3 pence. And can be used near salt water low tide, any tips?

came up mint hey! Didnt take much tooth bursh and vinegar and it was clean in 2 minutes.
I was surprised when it came out the ground it was almost like new with a slight bit of yellowing/rust i was stunned. Considering has been there over 60 years in sandy salty soil.. thats when you know a quality product using quality materials