Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Croc said:
Got some 3mm stuff left, thinking of putting a bit more solid sheet on the front scoop as well. Still have to add 2 braces to the handle from each top front corner. Welding a bit ordinary, but still getting my head around welding thin aluminium, the heavier stuff is easier.

material under 3 mm is usually done with TIG but MIG works too.

the trick with Ali mig is to clean it well , and use a hot and fast feed rate.

any oxide , dirt or grease on the surface just creates fumes , oxidation or smoke which inhibit fusion.

wire brush before welding is the go.

Used a stainless brush to clean the metal, still learning the settings on my mig, using argon, havent got tig lead yet, but having fun with it and enjoying the challenge. The sheet is 1.6mm with some 3mm at the back for a foot plate.

Used a stainless brush to clean the metal, still learning the settings on my mig, using argon, havent got tig lead yet, but having fun with it and enjoying the challenge. The sheet is 1.6mm with some 3mm at the back for a foot plate.

It's great using AC on the aluminium watching it get cleaned as you go along. I love the welds, always looks fantastic when finished :D

Been busy making these from some 90% USA quarters and one from a florin
A9254DB1-9E36-4831-8812-09A8F3D45E43_zps9vqt0foz.jpg

52F88420-2882-4CE2-BD9A-45E22FD363D6_zpsia34w12k.jpg

6B7C8123-42DB-41E4-B513-0BAF1E0A91AF_zpsfyawpfku.jpg

Cheers mate, yeah it takes a fair amount of time just to make one. I'm thinking about making a few and put them up for sale if people are keen. I have sine foreign silver coins I'm going to make into rings

Nope as long as the australian coins aren't in current curcilation which the old silvers are not and the American laws say as long as the coins aren't being altered and being passed off as a higher value or back into circulation :)

Cheers mate, nah I can make florins and walkers any size, the USA quarters are a smaller ring as they stretch too thin in a larger size :)

TenOunce Tone said:
Planning on some heavy digging Ryan
It's a little bit cold for the wet stuff for me at the moment,
Planning on some hard work out in the triangle soon.

Bugger.. I just lashed out and bought a sluice from a shop.. and probably paid to much for it, your design looks much better the one I bought.

Latest posts