Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baldy said:
The wife was complaining my picks were too heavy for her..looking at the cost of a new one ,I thought, bugger it I'll build one..scrounged up some bits and pieces,down a mates farm and came up with this..Happy wife Happy life..https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5602/1441448437_image.jpg

Nice looking pick you got there Baldy

1441875581_2015-09-10_18.51.01.jpg
1441875596_2015-09-10_18.50.26.jpg

Finally finished 4 coats should be enough to handle the bumps and scrapes for a while :D

1442035218_14420350748181.jpg
1442035233_14420350516050.jpg
not today but monday night i finnaly got around to clearing out my cupboard and finnishing up one of my homers thats Been getting in way.any way just need to get a motor and machine up a couple of alloy pullys and bobs your uncle.the hammers are 10 x 20 flat bar that i hard surfaced.but anyway will see how it gos :)
L

BrisJoe said:
Made a prototype safety harness at work.today (it's what I do) for use in the high voltage transmission towers for downer.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/805/1373593014_img_20130712_113946.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/805/1373592956_img_20130712_113850.jpg

So if any of you.guys want some sort of.harness or belt kit made, let me.know I spent 10years designing army field equipment, just ask Matt The Magic Man, he has used me equipment in.the past.

Are you an ex parra rigger Joe?

last week after watching several video's i decided to start buying needed prospecting stuff, and to make some stuff to save money, saw 3 buckets on building site that bloke said i could have so washed all the paint out and cut two up and drilled one with largish holes and the other with holes half size of first, should all be handy.
1442527935_prospecting_stuff_home_made.jpg

nice one kman!! make sure the outlet which will be restricted for classification can breath equal to the inlet otherwise that powder is coming right back in your face mate :) bloody nice looking build mate

Not today, but a month or so ago I made my test nugget thing. I got a .5gm nugget and potted it in epoxy and then painted it so I wouldnt lose it.

The idea is that when you get out to the gold field, do your ground balance and other adjustments as best you can. Then once you have done this, throw the test nugget on the ground and fine tune your machine to get maximum distance from the coil. This way you know your machine is setup as best you can for the ground you are hunting in.

I know that many of you who have been using your machine for years probably wont need to do this but for those relatively new to their machine, this little trick can give reassurance that if they walk over gold, they will be able to detect it.

1442895972_file_22-09-2015_2_24_31_pm.jpeg

Hey Pat do you think there would be much of a difference between an air test and a nugget buried in the ground?
I was thinking of taking by battery operated hammer drill out and drilling into the side of a bank at different depths, attaching a nugget to a long thin stick and poking it into the holes. Then play with the detectors settings to get the best result.
What have others done?

nicko61 said:
last week after watching several video's i decided to start buying needed prospecting stuff, and to make some stuff to save money, saw 3 buckets on building site that bloke said i could have so washed all the paint out and cut two up and drilled one with largish holes and the other with holes half size of first, should all be handy.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5587/1442527935_prospecting_stuff_home_made.jpg

Hey Nicko.

Here is a great post on Bucket Sieves from Ag Man. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=541

wooly said:
Hey Pat do you think there would be much of a difference between an air test and a nugget buried in the ground?
I was thinking of taking by battery operated hammer drill out and drilling into the side of a bank at different depths, attaching a nugget to a long thin stick and poking it into the holes. Then play with the detectors settings to get the best result.
What have others done?

There will be a difference in depth between air and in the ground. The reason I do what I do with the nugget is that if I figure if set the machine to detect the maximum air distance over the mineralised ground I am working, then I can be pretty sure I will get the maximum depth in the ground. I doubt it would be the same distance as the air test but it doesnt matter in this instance.

The issue you will have with your method is that in different ground, the settings will be different. So unless you can do test holes in every type of ground you are detecting, you wont always have the optimum settings. It will also vary from day to day. For example, I have found that as ironstone heats up during the day, the ground becomes more noisy so you have to adjust accordingly.

Now these are just things that work for me. Others may have better ways of setting their detector. I think it all comes down to what works for you and gives you the best results. Lets face it, you still have to walk over the gold to even have a chance of finding it.

Latest posts