Today I MADE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1582190252_resized_20200220_164841.jpg

Winter fire pit. Only been asked to do it for 24 months.

What can I use for a cover to put over it when we call it quits for the night ?
Thought of that fine steel diamond mesh but its damn expensive. Any ideas ?
The fire pit is about about 970 mm in the center and 1410 mm to the o/s.
Cheers.

Grab a couple of old screen doors, cut them down to make a two part lid. Even better an old sliding screen door might give you the width of 970mm.

Sorry Wishfull, thought you were looking for a cover when not in use. Aluminium melts around 660C, wood fire generally around 600 + so would be touch and go.

Well yes I was looking for something for a cover when not in use but sometimes there are a lot of coals left in a fire and still very hot and I dont think squirting the hot bricks with a hose to put out the coals is a good idea.

Yes the embers if the wind comes up is my concern. 6 mm seems a bit wide do you think ? I even thought about just corrugated iron with angle edging and just put angle grinder cuts in it but it would probably warp.
Maybe your right about the screen door idea.

3 sided checker plate so you can rotate it depending on direction and still get full screen bush tele, if you dont have a cheap source of checker plate go to the scrap matel place or dump and see what you can spot.
I have the perfect thing but its to big and to far away, its a rotary seive of some sort , 4ft round at base 3ft at top and perforated with match stick size slots.

Go for a drive in your car,often I find what I am looking for just laying out the front of someones home on the footpath or just laying around somewhere else.

People have too much money throwing out good stuff they think is rubbish or useless like them. :lol:

Not sure what sort of life you would get out of steel fly wire, Ive used it on a flue and it holds up but its not close to the flame. If you are only covering after use it might survive after all those camping toasters with mesh put over a flame survive reasonably well.