Tinkering with my new Compact Crusher - Outlet Modification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0lddigg@

Dustin
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
thought id put up some non bias info re the compact crusher so you members can have a scars and all look at what it does. Remember this is not a "rock crusher" parse its for sampling not belting tonnes of rock through.
I ordered on of Ryan's crushers for home sampling paid for it 4pm arrived 7.30am next morning with Austpost thanks Ryan.

First glance was surprised to open the box fully assembled ready to go, so I chucked some rocks through silly me I should have had a play first to see that everything was straight. anyway there was a bit of play in the mounting of the grinder, no problem i will strengthen the mount later, in the meantime make sure its nice and flat before you run any rocks. i clamped it into bench vice.

So my first grind was a mess lots of metal lots of noise I worked out that some of the weld had to be knocked off before i'd have a clean grind. Additionally the bolts inside were being hammered by the chain, I believe Ryan will be using all thread for this in the future rather than bolt heads.

The second issue was the wing nuts coming off under load, another easy fix i put some rubber on them it takes the impact out of the nut.

Now once i had this thing dialed in it ran like a dream. no heat coming off the grinder, no noise no metal just purred away like a grumpy cat.

Well onto my next issue, I plan to use the tool mostly in my shed so the dust banging around just wasn't going to cut it, the issue is with the only pressure outlet being the inlet you open everything up to fill the room with dust every time you feed some rock. This would not be an issue in the field as its intended but for me i got to cutting and modding cos I'm a tinkerer.

I made a very simple outlet to release the pressure and dampen the dust as it comes out. I tried a rubber seal originally but that didn't work too well so a door dust seal now seals quite well. as you can see in the last two pictures there's no dust anywhere - i took this photo with the crusher running. very happy with the mod and I will soon make a small metal base for the rock crusher to sit on.

By the way adding the hose at the end made a huge difference for damping the dust spread :)

If you are thinking about buying one of these I can attest to the fact that the components here are solid and made with quality workmanship, dust in the face aside they run right out of the box, just let them wear in a little. Great buy for my money

1411085021_20140916_105045.jpg
1411085046_bearing_alignment.jpg

1411085089_20140916_110237.jpg

1411085105_rubber_damper.jpg

1411085143_20140916_132940.jpg
1411085153_20140916_140014.jpg
1411085176_20140918_143216.jpg
1411085182_20140918_143847.jpg
1411085192_20140918_150018.jpg
1411085199_20140918_150023.jpg
1411085216_20140918_170815.jpg
1411085228_20140918_173052.jpg
1411085244_20140919_090946.jpg
1411085253_20140919_091807.jpg
1411085263_20140919_091816.jpg

Perfect mate, that's the mod's I was suggesting in his thread advertising the crusher. I hope your mods are taken into consideration for mach #2 of the crusher or something. I did not notice the wingnut bolts on the inside issue happening though, welding some all thread onto the cover would work perfect for a fix wouldnt it? Do you think the metal needs to be tempered as well ( I don't know if it is already ), but if it was, it would possibly not fold so much from impact on the inside of the crusher. Please let me know how your bashplate screen goes, Jeff Williams recommended it to be on the side, rather than the bottom, I cannot remember the exact reason why though.

Looks like a top tool to have on the field though mate :D

The feed back is great,
The tolerance inside is tight. This is so that the run time is less per sample. As above the unit can be easily modified to be set up as a continuos feed. The compact crusher will never have this. Simply ask Golddigg@ how long the mods took and multiply time vs dollars and then add that to the sale price. The Compact Crusher will undergo slight evolution changes, however I will endeavour to keep the price real.
Yes there is another model coming in fact there is a couple of models being discussed at the moment. Which will address some suggestions made by experienced prospectors.
Please remember the Compact Crusher is a sampling unit, it is not a production machine!
My weekends consist of reef hunting. This unit helps me find where I am going to park the production crusher which is being developed. The same as a pan or small river sluice helps find the spot for a Walbanker.
Also some basic mechanical skills are required if you are going to purchase crushing equipment. If you call roadside assist to change a flat tyre, you may wish to reconsider.
Once again thanks for the feedback, it helps to develop improvements.
Cheers Ryan

Beagleboy said:
Quality product made in Australia by Australians. Great job mate.
Thanks Beagleboy,
I hope to bring a wider range of products for hard rock hounds.
Some of what the compact crusher has been sampling is giving awesome results. This is why I need a production machine.
I will keep you posted.
Cheers Ryan

AtomRat said:
Perfect mate, that's the mod's I was suggesting in his thread advertising the crusher. I hope your mods are taken into consideration for mach #2 of the crusher or something. I did not notice the wingnut bolts on the inside issue happening though, welding some all thread onto the cover would work perfect for a fix wouldnt it? Do you think the metal needs to be tempered as well ( I don't know if it is already ), but if it was, it would possibly not fold so much from impact on the inside of the crusher. Please let me know how your bashplate screen goes, Jeff Williams recommended it to be on the side, rather than the bottom, I cannot remember the exact reason why though.

Looks like a top tool to have on the field though mate :D

I dont think there's any changes really requires accept for the all thread and some rubber washers to stop the wingnuts moving, as a tool its fine as is just needs to be warn in a bit. Like Ryan said the tolerance is tight so you can expect a small amount of rub whilst the chain established its camber consistency.

To be honest it would make more sense to put the outlet on the bottom and have a larger opening simply because the pressure will always go to the easiest way out which is the feed but on the side works fine, keeps you from dropping no crushed rocks into your crush pile.

The main benefit to the mod is the reduced load on the bearings because the more power buildup inside creates more friction which heats the grinder up, removing the crush removed the load. But to be honest a grinder is designed to be under massive load so its not a big deal.

dwt said:
Seen something similar to this years ago over west, it was being run by a small chain saw for out in the field sampling, any thoughts on devolping one of these Ryan, could be a top onsite field tester :)
I am working on a couple of new models
1. A small portable crusher with more capacity than the Compact Crusher. More like a prospecting unit that will handle small to medium production runs.
2. An Electric powered 240 volt unit that can run off a generator. This unit will be heavier duty an will be capable of production feed volume
3. At the moment I am building a 5 head stamp battery crusher ( portable ) this will be my primary crusher to crush to 12 mm Minus. Then to be fed into tertiary crusher 240volt hammer mill.

The compact crusher has given some good results on sampling. My results range from sweet F. A. To 3 to 4 OZ per ton
I am narrowing down on an area at the moment that is sending the GPX 4500 crazy. I will start pulling the exposed reef apart soon and conduct some bulk sampling when I have the bigger units up and running.
Some mine tailing piles contain really good ore. If your selective and you know what your looking for it can be a productive day out.

The chainsaw idea is a good one. However a little bit noisy for my liking.
Can also bring unwanted attention if you've found a rich area.

Cheers Ryan

How true

Thedigger :eek:

Jaros said:
Ryan27 I have just noticed you have a new Avatar. I agree, the Swans should be able to take the Grand Final by at least 30 points.
Cheers mate.
Hi Jaros
I am a die hard swans man. I've kept pretty quiet so far. The swans have always been the underdogs and it has worked for them. This year is different, they managed to put a list together that I don't think has been seen in a long time.
I will change my Avatar back after the Granny.
I'm not sure about the 30 points though, it's going to be tight.

thedigger said:

How true

Thedigger :eek:

Hey Thedigger...how about hooking this beast of a chainsaw up to a crusher !! It would take miliiseconds to crush !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5WO9nulOXc

I could listen to that sweet engine noise all day.

Ryan27 said:
Jaros said:
Ryan27 I have just noticed you have a new Avatar. I agree, the Swans should be able to take the Grand Final by at least 30 points.
Cheers mate.
Hi Jaros
I am a die hard swans man. I've kept pretty quiet so far. The swans have always been the underdogs and it has worked for them. This year is different, they managed to put a list together that I don't think has been seen in a long time.
I will change my Avatar back after the Granny.
I'm not sure about the 30 points though, it's going to be tight.
I think the Hawks look a bit tired and are on the downhill slide. Yep it's been a long time since i've seen a forward line SOOoo powerful. Very hard to keep tabs on.

Latest posts