Thoughts on the portable metel detector with LCD display.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1409478483_image.jpg

What is max amount that your budget will stretch to? I'd prefer to stick to known and proven brands, like some of the lower end Teknetics detectors for a starter detector. The bottom of the range Teknetics Eurotek or Alpha 2000 represent better value than the Jaycar one, the Eurotek only costs $199, and is probably cheapest known brand detector on the market at the moment, other than the Tesoro Compadre.

I'd love to recommend an Ace 250 or 150, they are great fun detectors, but are ultimately expensive for what you get when bought new. Pick up one second hand for around $200-250, and they are great to start out on.

The Jaycar unit might be ok to have a bit of fun with initially, but pretty soon you will probably have wished you put that money towards something a bit better. I was much like yourself in my youth, looking at cheapy detectors, trying them out, then wishing I had just saved another $50 to get something half decent. The Jaycar detector also takes a shed load of batteries for a little detector, plus no mention of water resistant or proof coil, and very light on features.

Even if they do half work, the build quality just isn't there, and the cheaper machines tend to screw up after a short period of time (especially those light aluminium shafts with no pins to lock them in place).

Here is a link to the Teknetics Eurotek to see what you get for $199 - a bucket load of features for a beginner detector. I think Aussie Detecting & Prospecting in Bendigo are the current Australian dealers for the Teknetics brand.

http://tekneticst2.com/teknetics-eurotek-metal-detector.htm

I got my boys one them . They're 16 and 15 yo . my youngest said I should of got a carton of beer instead. And the oldest said and a pkt smokes .

One other thing with my last reply i forgot to mention
That the stuff i look for is the lightly used 2nd hand
Detectors that may include an extra 1 or 2 coils that
Might come with the machine that sell cheap via
Auction. I am presuming these are trade ins but as
long as they work it really don't matter.

Buying 2nd hand you never really lose if Reselling.

Once again, that is a pretty open slather question, if you let us know how much you are willing to spend, then some recommendations can be made.

You can spend anywhere between $200-$2800 on a coin detector, depending on budget and features you are after. Some people are very successful and happy swinging a cheaper detector like the Ace 250, whilst others like to have the extra features and full versatility of the more expensive detectors like the Minelab ctx 3030. :)

The ace 250 is very affordable detector and its used by some forum members.

The Eurotek as mentioned is another.

Take a look around on ebay. Some bargains can be had from the USA.

Good luck with it..

Latest posts