The ultimate way to get to your patch....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha,... yeah mate. There’s just one problem with that idea. I will need to find that 100 oz. patch first .🤣
100 ounces plus another one every month there after. Truth is everyone of us in his position would definitely put it to good use if it was at our disposal. Good health and prosperity to him and everyone here, at least we can dream 🍻

Last edited:
I pegged a couple of leases in the wet season when the 'notification' period was on, by chartering a chopper.
How on earth could anyone see my Datum post 'objection' notice, when you can't 'drive' past it due to rivers and creeks...??

Yeah I've seen his videos! Would be awesome to have a chopper to fly around scouting good looking ground! There has been a few times i couldn't get to a spot because to bush was to thick! A chopper would have made it so much easier! maybe one day ill get to experience prospecting with a chopper!

He said in the vid that "the area had already been done over". How the hell could anyone have ever been there before him .... unless with another chopper.
Still a very good clip & the pilot could do alright selling videos of his exploratory flights ....... very easy to listen to with that good old aussie laid back attitude.
Rob.

He said in the vid that "the area had already been done over". How the hell could anyone have ever been there before him .... unless with another chopper.
Trail bikes and quads will get you in anywhere, mate. It was reasonably flat, open ground as far as the eye could see, so not difficult for them to access.

As to why anyone would have gone there, the underlying geology would be shown on geo maps and may suggest a potential line of strike, while exploration using magnetic surveying by low-flying aircraft, may have highlighted a potential orebody.

Yes have been places that took a chainsaw and several hours to get in to and even the quad struggled.Some places horse back only access. Feel your where no man has ever stood before and then a boot tac is found or a horse shoe. Then you get a target and dig with the result being an eveready battery :rolleyes: 🤣 So much for being the first man on the moon :oops: My list of getting to the gold would be, side by side, quad, two wheeler, horse and abseiling equipment and probably still be places and think how the hell can I get there? 🤔
This was a regular camp site pre European settlement in Oz, a bit before Minelab even 🤣 Picture doesn't really do it justice. Large cave area underneath overhang.

Old Camp.jpg

Last edited:
I met an American who had a massive RV in a Caravan Park at Coffs Harbour...During set-up I noticed In the Back section that lifts up was a Gyro-copter and 2 quads... Straight away I knew He was a Prospector... We got talking about Gold and he told me, every year He flies over to Brisbane and picks up his RV from storage and heads to Sydney to pick up the Missus and Friends and then head over to WA for a few months.... He said that Prospecting in Oz was very kind to him and that has paid for his set-up and 'extras' for years....

Now I just need to find him again and follow him to his Patch........:cool:

LW....

I've probably written about it earlier but we found a patch in an inhospitable area. We were prospecting in a well worked but difficult area a long way from decent roads. The area takes in a valley and was mined in the late 1800s and had several years of popularity since.

It was our second year in the area and like always Mrs M wanted to know what was on the other side of the range. I'd already done my research and I'd noted an undeveloped gold prospect to the west. I'd already walked the base of the hills there and couldn't see a way through but she really wanted me to take a look.

I don't normally carry much but I packed a bit of water and some snacks in a backpack that replaced my harness. I put a pick holder on my belt and carried the GPX4500 fitted with then Coiltek 14" Elite coil. The first climb was steep but not too difficult but the hill behind it was loose and so steep that I struggled up on hands and knees. From there I followed a gully and crossed one more ridge until I came to the base on the hill showing the gold deposit. I was buggered by then so I approached the spot in the head of a gully before putting the detector to the ground.

It took no more than a half hour search of the spot before picking up a 6g nugget just down the slope. I never did another thing. I just turned and headed back the way I came. I figured it was worth finding a way in. We never had the quads then so I had to find a way to get the bus in there.

I spent a while studying the topographical map and decided that the best approach was to head down the valley and follow the stream up the next valley. The small wattle shrubs grow thick around the streams and the area had been burned so I spent a lot of time snapping the saplings off and flattening the stump with a ball peen hammer. Then we spent the rest of the day struggling with loose river sand and gravel but we made it to within about 400m of the location before the hill sides closed in.

The next morning we walked upstream to the base of the hill where I commenced working the gully from the bottom up. Mrs M took one look at the hill and decided she'd take a look at the opposite side a bit further upstream. The grass is always greener on the other side ;)
My gully was difficult because of the tight wattle saplings but I started picking a few nuggets out so I was happy. After a couple of hours I decided to go and check on Mrs M's progress. She showed me where she'd walked over a patch of glass, an old camp where she'd picked up a threepence and a shilling. Then she'd gone on up the ridge on the other side and started on her own little patch. The gold was small but plentiful.

To cut a long story short, I found more gold across the side of my hill so over the following weeks we worked back and forth between patches. There was a steep bank off the side of Mrs M's patch that rewarded me well with some good 1g to 2g pieces. While I was working my way across this bank I followed a line of ball headed hob-nail boot tacks. The gold run ran out but the tacks kept going across the next ridge and up a steep gully. I followed it sure that it was leading me somewhere. It did, it led me on an easy walk back through a pass in the range to the valley where we'd started out.

What I'd seen as a virtually inaccessible gold location was really an easy walk for the oldtimers in the know :).

Latest posts