The Good The Bad & The Ugly!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WalnLiz said:
What a frightening experience that must have been. Glad the car wasn't still attached to the camper. There's a lot of ways to have a weekend spoiled, but that takes the cake. Really glad that nobody got hurt.

Cheers Wal. :(

Yes it sure was frightening Wal, worst part could raise a signal on phone to call the Fire brigade. I had only just moved the car about an hour before it happened down to the river to save carrying the gear down, we had planned to bring a few buckets of pay dirt home to muck around with. So glad I did cause it was parked right beside camper next to gas bottle and a few litres of fuel for the pump. We were 4 hours from home so would have been a long walk.

Also lucky there had been a few frosts and the grass was still damp otherwise the whole area would have gone up. There were a number of grass fires we put out with buckets of water until the fireys came an hour later..

There were a couple camped around the next bend from us, but earlier there were guys shooting to initally they thought the stuff exploding was shooting, until the tyres caught and the black smoke was no BBQ burning. So they came n checked on us and called 000, there was reception a few kms away but we couldnt get the car out past the camper.

I wanted to share so others could be aware of the hazzards that can happen, we have camped many times over the years never any problems...

Thanks all for your comments yes we are all ok just bummed about loosing all our gear it wasnt insured, its all replacable, we are not.

We normally go with a group of people and glad this time we went on our own could have been worse.

Still got the prospecting gear and the detector was in the car, hopefully we will unearth a few nuggets at some stage to replace the gear, this wont stop us from getting back out there thats for sure..

Cheers Jen n Mal ! :)

HeadsUp said:
my condolences to you both and hope something better comes your way.

I think we need to add something here with people using petrol pumps , just to be mindful when refilling that you dont spill any on a hot muffler , it happened to a friend when filling up a lawnmower once and she was in hospital for more than 5 years , had over 30 operations and skin grafts and still cant walk properly or go out in the sun.

cautionary tale to hang up on the walls of the memory bank for future reference.

best wishes all.

Thats awful, burns are horrid.

Certainly a future camp story to tell for us

Happy safe camping and prospecting all!

Fire is everyone's worst nightmare. Glad no one was hurt. As a nurse in an emergency department burns are one thing that I wish nobody has to suffer.

Rastys 1964 said:
Really sorry to hear about the camper. I am very happy that no one was hurt. If you need some camping gear I might have some old chairs or bits and pieces that you are welcome to. I might even have a dome tent if you would like it.
Keep smiling
Richard

Thanks Richard, your offer is much appreciated..

Will send you a pm when we head out that way.

Cheers :) :)

Latest posts