Termites. How to get rid of them.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know an effective way to get rid of termites, as I've found some in my shed. You can't buy creosote any more, which the farmers swore by. 50/50 mixed with sump oil or diesel. Only had to be done once, no more problems with them again. I've googled it, and they mention a mix of borax and water to do the job, but that doesn't sound too potent to me. I'm more interested in something more powerful. No, not gelignite! wiley.

1622032743_echidna.jpg

Hey Wiley. Not the best visitor you win your shed.
The best way to go about it is have a look at ground level and work out where they are getting in.
There will be a destinct track they are using.
Dig a trench around your shed slab and fill it with fine granet or something similar
You should have at least 3 inches of visible slab on the outside so you can inspect it
My information may not be helping get rid of them, but just a bit of advice
Once you have located where they are getting in. NUKE THE SHITE out of them with everything you have.
Good luck mate.

Banjo. No concrete slab in the shed. It's got a dirt floor, so I can't find any trails. Would granitic sand do the job for the trench? there's tons of it just up the road. There's also a huge mound of stamper sand nearby. Maybe I'll give them a 50/50 dose of the two! wiley

If it is a dirt floor shed and you have got timber posts directly in the ground and the ants are already active in the shed you need to isolate the posts from the ground by cutting them off above ground level and supporting them with steel an concrete.
Without seeing your situation it's hard to give advice.
I'm a chippy with 35 years experience and seen a lot of termite damage.
Once they are in they are in and they can do a lot of damage.

Dig a trench around the uprights in your shed and get yourself some BIFENTHRIN from eBay $101.80 for a 1 litre bottle.
from memory 150mm per 10 litres of water. I used to do pest control years ago. this stuff is the ''Ant Pants"

Check around your shed for any trees and or old stumps they may be coming from. Also check if there is a water source around. they need water to live. In other words are the down pipes going into a tank or just on the ground. This can be sprayed on surfaces to kill spiders and most other insects. Use gloves a mask and eye protection.
Hope this helps.

Use a professionl. My parents had termites in their house a couple of years back, the bloke who fixed their problem was amazing. He used a bait that destroyed the whole colony. You don't want to disturb them as doing so will make it 10x harder to kill the entire nest.

There are these as well which is very similar to what the pro's use.

https://termikill.com.au/

Without trying to pile on the time for damage control has passed by, unless the rest of the buldings are stone and steel, theres a possibilty what youve detected is just the tip of the iceberg.

Once the pros have done the work you can asess the total scenario and forward plan, sure if you try tackling it yourself theres a few dollars to be saved, but at what cost long term?

Edit, some of them have the machine that can scan internally, not only can they see all the termite damage, but and structual abnormalities like water ingress damage etc, cheap piece of mind imo.

Perhaps the wiley coyote is like me, I find it hard to trust a so called professional. I tried them from gardeners & house cleaners to lawyers, accountants and doctors. There aren't many who don't let you down or rip you off :argh:

I think the machine the professionals use is a heat sensor . It is used to scan the walls etc. to find out were the nest is .

As someone who has had the bastards eat out the ash reveals in 4 rooms on the western side of my house I would definetly be getting a few quotes from the Professional Termite eradication people. I hear what Moneybox is saying, I had some horrendous quotes (4.5k) from mobs wanting to do what amounted to a days work. In the end I got a local small operator with a good reputation to put down a complete perimeter chemical barrier around the the house. The little wreckers got into my place via a faulty expansion joint between original house slab and slab laid for extensions some yrs ago. I have since reworked & repaired this joint to include a perforated tube to pump residual spray down into the joint & used termite resistant timber in the wall and window reveal repairs. Ive only got another 2 rooms to check/ repair. You could try termite baits available on line but I had difficulty in getting them to eat it rather than the house n wood shed. Dont disturb them if you can help it as they will just move elsewhere.

They use thermal sensors to detect the centre of the nest as the queen needs to stay warm, they also use the moisture detectors as the colony needs a bit of dampness to survive as well, neither detectors are infallible.

The link I posted will give you more information than you ever needed to know about termites. My dad uses this system and recently had a hit on one of the traps in their top paddock, added the bag of bait and it will wipe out the entire colony, simples.

OldGT said:
Without trying to pile on the time for damage control has passed by, unless the rest of the buldings are stone and steel, theres a possibilty what youve detected is just the tip of the iceberg.

Once the pros have done the work you can asess the total scenario and forward plan, sure if you try tackling it yourself theres a few dollars to be saved, but at what cost long term?

Edit, some of them have the machine that can scan internally, not only can they see all the termite damage, but and structual abnormalities like water ingress damage etc, cheap piece of mind imo.

Yes a thermal imaging camera are the go.

Moisture detection hand held units are ...well not great.
I have found nests in walls that the moisture detector didnt register on.

A few blokes use still use arsenic which is good for them taking back to the nest.
Coopex is also a good powder to use.

But if your not confident to tackle the little buggers, do call on a professional pest controller.
They are my pet hate along with mice and rats.

Latest posts