Subaru Forester

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGB

Kristian
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thinking about getting a off-road orientated vehicle as my Mazda 3 doesn't seem to like dirt roads much :)

Was thinking about getting a diesel Forester instead as most of the time it will be driven around the city and only get dirty on weekends (plus the amount of diesel/fuel that some of the proper off-roaders drink is ridiculous).

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are - how good are they off road?

I am not planning on rock hopping or anything like that but for boggy firetrails and rough roads are they any good?

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks,

KB

Highly reccomended if all you want is a mid size car that will go pretty well offroad.

I take mine alot of places i shouldnt, and it handles every bit of it.

Mine hasnt missed a beat in 10yrs and will only be selling it to tow a larger caravan,
but for now it tows my old Jayswan without a whimper.

cheers
Tony

I used to have a XT forester, Went like a bat out of hell, and you could go offroad a little ground clearance is a issue thats all. But the turbo does not have the low range lever. First gear is pretty damn low anyway.

I thought about trading my patrol on a new car for the missus and me driving her forester around. So I took it bush to see how it would go. First erosion mound had it stuck on its belly. So I canned that idea. I've had some heavily modified offroad Subaru's and now the patrol, it really pains me to say it but I'd look at a kia Sorrento. Full chassis, low range and decent diesel engine.

I've got a 2005 Forester XT, 2.5l petrol turbo engine and it goes like the clappers. Makes the dirt tracks a whole bunch more fun to drive when you can do them rally style. Doesn't have the clearance of a big 4x4 but its much better than a standard road car which I think is a fair compromise.

Before the XT I had a Navara, i think it was the 2004 model with the 3.0l turbo diesel (before they switched to the 2.5l intercooled turbo diesel), the Navara was a good car with plenty of torque but I felt it was a bit underpowered. The XT doesn't have a low range which is unfortunately the trade off for having the turbo as the non-turbo manual transmission Foresters do have a low range, but with the extra power the turbo provides it tows my Quinny Explorer much better than the Navara ever did and it takes me up to the snow on the mountain roads much better as well, and of course overtaking slow moving traffic is a breeze.

Fuel wise its never going to win any awards, but I bought the car knowing its no Prius when it comes to economy, I enjoy experience of driving so I just accept it is what it is when I'm at the fuel pump.

A mate of mine has a 2006 Forester 2.5l petrol auto. So again no low range being the auto trans. Fuel wise its a fair bit better than mine especially when you consider he fills up with regular unleaded and I'm using 98 octane, still has a reasonable amount of go but not really comparable to a turbo engine as you'd expect.

Neither of us have ever had any issues, both love our Foresters, been great cars (touch wood)

Cheers
Adam

Mate of mine in Europe has a Subaru Impreza with diesel engine and manual transmission. He lives in the mountains with up to 2 meters of snow in winter. The car handles really well on dirt, snow or ice and it is quick as hell. I was little freaked out when he accelerated up hill on ice and it just went like a rat up the drain pipe. My daughter could not make it up that hill earlier that day in her front wheel drive Audi.
It is a very impressive car and he swears by it.

i had a forester for a couple of years then decided to go bigger and bought a 105 land cruiser. had that for a while and the fuel bill crept up on me. Wish i still had my forester could do a lot in it very cheaply.

Rupa said:
i had a forester for a couple of years then decided to go bigger and bought a 105 land cruiser. had that for a while and the fuel bill crept up on me. Wish i still had my forester could do a lot in it very cheaply.

I'm on my 2nd Forester and both have followed so called "real" 4 wheel drives (that my family members drive) all over the Victorian High Country and the Otway Ranges thru the dust, mud and snow and i never felt that it was seriously challenged - it always got me thru. In a AWD it's all about technical driving meaning 'it's the nut behind the wheel that gets you thru'.

Look at these links for some inspiration -- psst! Offroadsubarus was founded by a current PA contributor (not me) and he may reveal himself if he spots this post :cool:

http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?p=24780#post24780
http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?p=2151#post2151

casper aka onebob

casper said:
Rupa said:

I'm on my 2nd Forester and both have followed so called "real" 4 wheel drives (that my family members drive) all over the Victorian High Country and the Otway Ranges thru the dust, mud and snow and i never felt that it was seriously challenged - it always got me thru. In a AWD it's all about technical driving meaning 'it's the nut behind the wheel that gets you thru'.

Look at these links for some inspiration -- psst! Offroadsubarus was founded by a current PA contributor (not me) and he may reveal himself if he spots this post :cool:

casper aka onebob

Yeah i know him too ;)

AussieTreasureDigger said:
casper said:
Rupa said:

casper aka onebob

Yeah i know him too ;)

actually i'm quite sure that you do ;) ;)

I've had several foresters the last was a 2003 which I had for 9 years Great car but like everything has limitations.
It is too low for lots of tracks
1st is not low enough.
Road tyres don't work well in the dirt.
If you just want fire trails etc it is difficult to beat, mine went many places but occasionally got hung up or limited by entry/exit angles or tyre clog. fuel averaged about 9/100. went to about 10.5-11.5 with a 250kg camper trailer & sluice onboard depending on country etc.
Now driving a manual Pajero, it is 4wd. Diesel and about the same consumption, uses less with the same trailer.
My sons, 105 cruiser , lift & 33's, 14/100 if driven carefully, Pathfinder tray top- good on fuel but limited passengers good in the dirt, Hilux- lift, 33's good in dirt goes OK rides like a truck, Forester- good car but he rides with one of us if we go camping.

On a personal note I was prejudice against Pagero as I had only been out in Patrols & cruisers which I was looking to buy. Salesman talked me into trying a Pajero, didn't buy from him but found they are more carlike & worth a look. Pathfinder also seems good. Go drive them all first & see what the boss will drive.

Barry

I know this is an old thread but for what it's worth here's my 5 cents worth.

I have owned a number of subaru 4x4's years back (mid 70's thru late 80's) which were very capable off road as they could be raised, larger wheels and AT tyre combos could be fitted and the entry & exit angle was pretty good. (Take towbar off first :8 )
When the design and shape changed with the Liberty wagon and later Outback and Forester they were too low and too much body overhang to be useful for any serious offroad work. Great for the snow or forest trails but thats about it.
The last two subbies I had (1981 and 1989 "L" series ) were 2" lifted and had larger 14" sunraysia rims with AT tyres and were very capable off road.

If you are looking for small to medium I think the little Pajeros tick a lot of the boxes. They have heaps of ground clearance and the entry/exit angle capabilities are excellent. One of our young chemists at work has a little SWB Paj which he takes to some amazingly inaccessible places.

I now drive either my son's diesel Ford Maverick (Patrol) or my own reliable old 1985 diesel Patrol. Sadly my next 4x4 will probably be an 80 or 100 series Landcruiser as the GU Nissans with the big 4.2 diesel are way overpriced as everyone wants them.

Ric

I had an XT Forester, 2009 model turbo, absolutely loved it -ate up any road you threw at it dirt or tar - also Subaru has the highest retention rate of all car manufacturers with good reason, good reliable and well built, and they only make 4wd cars - granted its not a Landy on 32''s but of all the dual duty Soft Roaders - the Suby is the best, hands down in my opinion. For what you are driving over, the Subaru is made for it. I'm looking at getting another now as my now Ex missus wrote mine off.

Cheers, V_8

I'll chip in and say a forester is a great inbetweener. Don't kid yourself it won't go where a true 4x4 will even with driver skill there's only so many lines you can take before you reach a vehicles limitations. The main thing that will slow up the forester is rugged uneven terrain due to poor articulation, approach/departure angles and low ground clearance. For any surface where traction is an issue in a regular 2wd they're great. Wet roads, muddy roads, loose dirt tracks even sand if it isn't too soft. The other great thing is 80% of 4x4 tracks I've come across really aren't true 4x4 tracks in the sense that a 2wd with a good driver will make it through just fine and a forester would have no trouble! The other 20% well you might want to bring a winch and turn back before you get in too deep.

Well .... found my dream setup

Subaru Forester SH ( 09-13 ) - 4" Lift Kit​

...... 1k from states the kit, now my question is ...do i need engineering ? As i know that if you lift 2" is fine and no engineering certificate needed .... anyone knows if required for 4" ? :D :D :D :D :D :D

1471915872_14125523_1720308681555337_8012604181029420153_o.jpg
8)
1471915887_14125703_1720308684888670_7494907599288619342_o.jpg
8)
1471915992_14125089_1720308734888665_3468733284478309_o.jpg
8)
1471916006_14124872_1720308784888660_5372990888531923177_o.jpg

1471916025_14086441_1720308771555328_8308386948911963132_o.jpg

1471916039_14068448_1720308824888656_6517835559362935956_o.jpg

Looks tough doesn't it :cool:

I went with a 2" lift on my SG, as I read at the time that going much beyond that starts to cause some unnatural angles and stress on drive shafts and suspension components.....

Latest posts