Stone engraving / scultupure cutting and dremell bits

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a quick first go using a stupidly hard silica Tasmanian pebble using my wet tile saw for a quick trim and then starting roughly shaping with a round diamond tool bit in my dremel .. drill with flexible extension and trying out an elephant shape by eye and guessing. I've never been much of a sculptor with my hands but its not the hardest after a few years of watching bits and pieces on youtube.

Ill get some soft rock after playing with this like serpentine or talc that will be a much faster job. I wouldn't mind making a full chessboard set from stone or even gems.

..anyway, has anyone else had some experience with this sort of work? Would love to see some photos if anyone has anything to share!
1444958289_14449577635650.jpg

Looks good, how many man hours did you put into it ?

The cut pebble shape would be great for your chess pieces, a herd of attack elephants in the front row would be cool. :cool:

that looks cool mate - i have been thinking about this before - i have a few small stones i would like to carve on for a pendant i want to make

Good pics of your progressive carving AR.

I've recently acquired some jasper and have thought about doing a bit of carving with them.

I carved a piece of boulder opal way back in the old days, similar to the shape of the opera house. I'll post a pic if I ever find where I put that piece.

Hope you post more of your carving pics as you get into it. I love carving. Can get a bit tricky to polish though.

Would be awesome to carve an entire chess set!

Nice work AR. I've always been great at carving.... apart from my total lack of skill and no artistic sense of any kind. 8.(

I wish I could carve or draw or anything artistic.

Thanks for bringing the topic up again sa_bogan! Though I havnt done much more since. Were a but short on talc and serpintine or soapstone at the club so the sculting has been delayed for a little. Would love to do the chess board like I mentioned

See if you can find the photo Karen, I'd love to see :) always happy to see others work! Havnt gotten to polishing yet but I've been told of its issues. I have a couple of diamond files to help

Thanks too r.j and martin, ill actually put some effort into one and see what I can come up with, though I may attempt wax first as sculpture isn't something I'm used to either but have an artistic brain ( useless for business ) so something should come out of it. Wouldn't mind carving a little bloke panning or pushing a cradle

Well.. looks like by motivational demand i should get to it!! Give me a week guys :)

Latest posts