Still gold at Tambaroora

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day

I just got these pics from my two mates who spent the day at Tambaroora using their 5k's for the first time. If these blokes can find gold on their first try anybody can :D
1371374501_image.jpg

1371374548_image.jpg

1371374579_image.jpg

Cheers

Chimpy

Good bits out of "flogged out" ground. Haven't got gold out there myself yet but plenty of small lead shot & other junk which leads me to believe there is plenty of ground out there that hasn' t been fully flogged yet. Is very junky in spots though. Good to see some actual gold from there - hear stories but hadn't seen any. Might head out that way Tuesday for another look about.

G'day

They were out with Bob from Goanna Gold doing their training day and it was on "well flogged" ground

Cheers

Chimpy

:D Gotta luv these spots , when someone mentions them on forum-then look up on google earth.

Floating about from mudgee to ...hill end next 2 weeks

Here's a couple of local stories: (not sure if there's any truth to some of them but sound good :lol:)

Heard about a guy who parked at the cemetery, set up his detector & within a couple of metres dug up a nice nugget that people had been driving/walking over. No one bothered to start detecting there as it was the carpark.

Some backpackers asked the locals at the pub - where's the best place to try. The locals being a little humorous that day told them between the gate posts at Tambaroora. The backpackers returned with a nugget reportedly worth $50,000+.

People say there is not much to be had out of the creek there nowadays although a local told me he got enough out of there for his wife's (now ex :eek: ) wedding ring from panning. Gave me a few tips too - told me to get rid of the plastic pans & get a metal one which I did, still like my plastic ones though & have always got a speck or two panning there.

I have heard a lot of the locals are fairly traditional & mostly pan - don't go much on detectors, highbankers etc. There's an older gent (Ted Abbot - in his eighties I'm told?) out there that does panning tours/instruction for $5-10/person - will be trying to go with him at some stage & pick up some of his valuable experience/tips. He's one guy I've been told to not mention detector's etc. around - he's an old school panner.
Also be aware that the mining company out there don't allow fossicking on their EL's so best to stick to Tambaroora or research areas outside of the EL's.

Great spot to visit - plenty of history, things to see as well as prospecting/fossicking. History Hill is worth a look - unbelievable amount of mining relics etc. Good display of different rock types etc. too.

Yep I think I'll head out there tomorrow - talked myself into it. :)

p.s. if detecting around the cemetery please use some discretion i.e. don't go in the actual cemetery. There are local people that have family buried there & have also heard of people going in there with detectors :(

G'day

I've met Ted a few times as I know one of his neighbors. VERY old shcool and can process a full pan in 28 seconds. If you ever went to Hill End on a school excursion he would have been the bloke that showed you how to pan. The locals are friendly but cagey and wary of blow-ins, don't bother asking the best place to go. The Backpacker story is too believable (never heard the finding nugget bit though) and I know a bloke that pulled a nice nug out of the Ophir camp ground next to his car. There is still gold in the creek as my mates watched Ted whip through a few pans yesterday and get a show in each. Good luck on the hunt and I intend to get back there next month myself

Cheers

Chimpy

Pretty sure I read the backpacker story in one of Malcolm Drinkwater's books on Hill End but not 100% - wherever I seen it they did say they couldn't verify the truth of the story but probably does sum up locals anywhere - they aren't going to tell you the "spots" as most of them work those good areas themselves. Luck can play just a big a part as research etc.. You just have to walk over the right place. ;)

Chimpy said:
G'day

I've met Ted a few times as I know one of his neighbors. VERY old shcool and can process a full pan in 28 seconds. If you ever went to Hill End on a school excursion he would have been the bloke that showed you how to pan. The locals are friendly but cagey and wary of blow-ins, don't bother asking the best place to go. The Backpacker story is too believable (never heard the finding nugget bit though) and I know a bloke that pulled a nice nug out of the Ophir camp ground next to his car. There is still gold in the creek as my mates watched Ted whip through a few pans yesterday and get a show in each. Good luck on the hunt and I intend to get back there next month myself

Cheers

Chimpy

would love to be able to watch him pan one day . you cant take the value away from someone who spent his whole life improving something.

noting that on my " to do list "

G'day

Here's his business card. Dug deeper in the glovebox to find it than I do for most gold :)

1371507519_image.jpg

Cheers

Chimpy

Latest posts