Steel toed boots

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Both my gumboots and workbooks have steel toes. Is the GM1000 smart enough to ignore them or do I need a trip to a shoe shop?

Get Plastic toed boots... Because, if you do have a situation where the steel cap collapses , you Will loose some toes..... ... Plastic ones Far safer.. The plastic springs back and you only have Broken toes...Far better and Detector Friendly unless they are lace-ups as most have steel lace rings.....

LW...

Get Plastic toed boots... Because, if you do have a situation where the steel cap collapses , you Will loose some toes..... ... Plastic ones Far safer.. The plastic springs back and you only have Broken toes...Far better and Detector Friendly unless they are lace-ups as most have steel lace rings.....

LW...
I was told that if you dropped something big enough to collapse the steel you’d be better off with cleanly severed toes than a pancake of skin and bone powder still connected to your nervous and circulatory systems. Either way I’d rather not test plastic or steel.

I buy Oliver AT’s metal free lace ups. High ankle support and lightweight, comfy and strong. I use them for work and for detecting it was only through work I found out they are metal free, even though there’s a label
On the boots stating so! Cheers
I think the big driver for development and adoption of metal-free safety boots has been FIFO's, who can then cruise through airport screening without having to remove their workboots every time. I doubt that their employing companies would allow them to be worn if Health and Safety weren't satisfied with their effectiveness.

I think the big driver for development and adoption of metal-free safety boots has been FIFO's, who can then cruise through airport screening without having to remove their workboots every time. I doubt that their employing companies would allow them to be worn if Health and Safety weren't satisfied with their effectiveness.
Your spot on grubstake, Composite (metal free safety footwear) was designed for this exact purpose.

If you do buy a pair be mindful the zip tag might be attached using a metal wire spring steel. It's small and in most cases wouldn't affect the operation of most detectors.

Do your research, there are plenty of manufacturers who claim to be metal free, some are some aren't.

Both my gumboots and workbooks have steel toes. Is the GM1000 smart enough to ignore them or do I need a trip to a shoe shop?
Have always felt that even metal eyelets can cause disturbances in modern detectors, constantly moving in and out of the outer part of a detectors electronic detection field. Even though the effects may be sub audible, I don’t want my detectors electronics to be distracted by anything other than a true target. Just play it safe and go fully metal free.
For rough goldfields work, Especially if older, falls are one of the worst hazards and I think grip is very important for that reason. I like the Redback fully metal free boots with treaded rubberized soles for that. For treasure hunting and beach work you would have more options even none at all.

I have been wearing non-steel capped boots for years.... I crushed a boot to the extent of having to use a screw driver to loosen the steel cap off the boot to get my foot out. A 1hr job with many hands and lots of laughter ... I was very lucky , no damage except one boot cut into 50 pieces and a sore foot for a few days...:rolleyes:😇

So plastic for me for ever after that...

LW...

I take the pro-pointer when shopping for boots but it really narrows down your options. Last time I never found anything metal free in Perth so I ended up with another pair of Keens hiking boots but these have metal hooks on the laces.

Some of the boots I've bought had steel eyelets in them. I got around this by gripping the backs of the eyelets with a small set of vice grips, then drilled them out from the front. I've never had a lace rip through the hole that was left. So, I reckon the steel eyelets are just for cosmetic reasons.

Because I have a really dodgy ankle with no ligament practically. I got my great redback boots with elastic sides that were fine, but I didn’t get the support when my ankles are bit sore so I bought lace up ones they had steel eyelets of which I drilled out. they do have a zip on the side which is mostly plastic and then they have a clip lock at the top as well as laces. I find if I keep the coil out the front my Z doesn’t get affected too much. Occasionally I have to re-check an area if it does pick up my boot, but it doesn’t very often.

Latest posts