Singapore Ants

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Products containing hydramethylnon are the best ones for these little devils.
Maxforce products are probably the easiest ones to get in Australia. Bayer makes them.
I've seen them for sale on ebay at times.

Magilla said:
Go to the local farmers supply shop and they will sell you something to fix them, just be careful where you spray it.

Local is about a thousand clicks away. Everything is pretty basic here. But things like that are doable, just doesn't happen today or tomorrow. :D

Just went to make up my daughters bed and noticed mainly dead ants on the bed and a few live ones scrambling about.

Looks like the fan wiring above her bed is on the menu :argh: :argh: :argh:

1540978074_ants.jpg

shakergt said:
are there lots of them in the Torres straits at all?

Definitely on a number of island. It has probably moved about with the barge that goes between the islands. Some areas seem more prone than other, like hot spots really. I know it's on the mainland because I've read stories of folks losing brand new tents in a night to them.
The Torres Strait has a weird border control set up. Bit hard to explain. Bit like living in the 'arrivals lounge' at an airport. So harder for the ants to move South.

Thanks guys, Dihusky, OzzieAu, Straya and others for the suggestions. The molten Aluminium sounds the most interesting. I'll have a look and see what we have here. Preferably Id like to destroy these sods of things. I have had success using Mortein as a deterrent. Trouble is these things are finding ways in that I can't find.
Anyway some great ideas to maybe stop these annoying critters.

:Y: :power: :fistpump: :perfect:

Hi magoo sorry for the late suggestion but I found that talon ant killer that comes in a syringe works really well.. it's a gel and you only need a drop. Lived in an ant infested caravan for a while for work and It did the trick. Good luck with the molten aluminium sculptures.

Jeez, if they are in the light fittings then they are in the roof and walls.
They have a nasty bite, if the house is in that state, it really isn't habitable.
I would jump up and down and demand your landlord fix that as a matter of urgency.
That's just not acceptable having that above your child's bed.

When it gets to that level you really need a professional to take care of it.

The stuff I get is , Deltamethrin, as the active ingreediant; works on ant and spiders. The brand name is Apparent Insect and Spider Spray. I spray around the house and sheds, keeps the mossies down a bit too, spray the dark cool areas around the house.

Occasional_panner said:
Hard Luck said:
Aluminum works really good as well. Then when it cools, dig it out and you have a wild sculpture. :perfect:

That's really messed up.
I like it.
Not my idea OC. But It works well with some nests.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/IGJ2jMZ-gaI[/video]

Occasional_panner said:
Jeez, if they are in the light fittings then they are in the roof and walls.
They have a nasty bite, if the house is in that state, it really isn't habitable.
I would jump up and down and demand your landlord fix that as a matter of urgency.
That's just not acceptable having that above your child's bed.

When it gets to that level you really need a professional to take care of it.

It's just part of life living here. A government department are our landlords, technically. They pay the rent and we have to deal with them, not the owner of the building which is only about six years old. And you will wait forever and a day for something to happen. Cause a stink and life could get awkward. It's the TI way.
Lots of employees of the government would give their right one to get a house like ours. Ant's or not. Rent is not cheap here so to go out on your own is almost impossible.

limpalot said:
The stuff I get is , Deltamethrin, as the active ingreediant; works on ant and spiders. The brand name is Apparent Insect and Spider Spray. I spray around the house and sheds, keeps the mossies down a bit too, spray the dark cool areas around the house.

These little critters are way beyond the annoyance of most ants. They are extremely skillful in finding entry points into the building. Holes and cracks in the grout are their highways. The holes can be so tiny you wouldn't believe an ant could fit through it until you see them wriggle out.
Stop them one way and they break out in several other spots. You have to admire their persistence.
Hopefully with some of the ideas on here I might be able to get them back under control. :Y:

Trust me Mr Magoo, I've worked for a pest control company for over 11 years now. I know what I'm talking about with these little devils. Although that ant sculpture was amazing - I'd like to try that myself! :) I hope those people didn't mind the big hole left in their lawn though... :D

Megsy, that product you referred to earlier is a good one, BUT that is a maintenance product. Sometimes lazy operators will just toss some granules like that around, give the customer a whopper bill and tell them to wait a few weeks for it to work.
An issue like this needs a proper flush/kill combo with powder in roof/sub floor to kill anything present, then an extensive termidor spray. Properly done you shouldn't see an ant for 12-24 months.

Get yourself some lorsban 500ec , I use it and it makes ants jump to the other side of the street, for a litre is was about $80 or $140 for 5 litres from memory

BTW Magoo this https://www.agserv.com.au/products/amdro-granules/
is the product Megsy was talking about earlier.
You could ring them to see if they will sell it to the public......... maybe maybe not.

IF you can get a hold of that it's still a good option, not the best one, but I know you won't be able to buy termidor without a licence.

Whatever you use read the instructions carefully, many so called pro's don't do it the correct way.

Jeeez, very surprised to find it here but just found this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AMDRO-s...f:g:SaMAAOSwX8dbqI6h:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Thanks for the info there OP. :Y:
Appreciate Megsy's suggestion as I want to get rid of these damn things not just a deterrent. A deterrent would just move them from the house to the car of the phone lines or power box.
I'm getting sent some ant poison (not sure what it's based on) which I will give a try and if that doesn't crack it I'll buy that stuff and give it a go. Although the wet season is approaching (cloud, a few showers, sea lice moving in) which may cause issues for that treatment. Although it does knock back the ants too. Either way less ants. :D

All the ideas everyone has come up with has been appreciated. I knew someone here would know how to deal with them. :perfect: :Y:

Eat it up my precious :skull:

Cairns based exterminator was up and the landlord got him to come round. Sprayed here and there. Also used a gel bait called Advion Ant which contains Indoxocarb. One thing they liked the most straight. Although not every nest. He convienently forgot to take the syringe when he left. :playful:
But mixed with peanut butter and we have created a delicious gourmet delight which they love. ]:D This batch is quite strong and they love it. This is targeting the ones in the house. Since I last posted about this they moved into the AC in my daughter's room so had to move her out. Unopened packets of cuppa soup and two lots of butter in sealed containers.
This trail I found had chewed into an opened electrical package containing a usb adaptor. Hundreds of them eating the insulation.
1543486687_20181129_200645.jpg