sharing gold with property owner

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a "standard" for what percentage of gold is shared with the owner of a property if they provide access ?

i know some prospectors give nothing

I am happy to share a little , 20 % + is no issue to share from my perspective.

what do you do ?

I give the owner 100% of what I tell them I've found. Seriously though I would be happy to 50/50 my finds with the property owner especially if it's a worthwhile prospect. My luck is I've been given the all clear by a number of property owners to take anything I find with me and leave the place as found. Most of these people assume I'm not gonna find anything of value anyway and it's my own time wasted.

Last trip I left a few little nuggets in a display case for the property owner he was impressed so next trip I'll do the same but hopefully with a few bigger bits'

According to miners rights info in Victoria "You DO require the landowners permission to detect on their land" "You are NOT required to share any of what you find with the land owner."

However, common sense would indicate that during discussions with a land owner, which is a negotiation to obtain access, the owner may allow you on to their land unconditionally or may give permission on the condition you share your finds. What % would be up to what you both agree to. That can vary from one to the next. Many land owners won't allow you on in the first place. It really is an individual case by case thing.

I would suggest that if the land owner told me they wanted the lot, I would also suggest that they buy their own detector and do it themselves.

I normally share with the land owners ,some do not want a share the last place was 50% but that was OK I could not have worked the property any other way and the returns were good :)

Good question, you would think somewhere between 10-20% would seem fair ? Yet I am sure some would want more. I did see on one of the mine applications a while back that you kept the first 100oz after that you shared 20% with them. Anything above a certain amount was deemed to be theirs or something, can't remember exact details could have been about 1000oz+ all finds to be reported. I believe they put that 100oz buffer so people would report smaller finds without worrying about losing their keep perhaps ?

Me a a mate have been given access to a property , which should yield quite some quantity , if what he tells us is correct.

He will supply the backhoe & 6000L water tanker for 50% of what we find

Considering its 10 feet down , I have no problem with that :)

The owner of one of the properties I sometimes prospect on said to me if I hit it rich all he wants is a new tractor!

I think this is his form of insurance if I do strike it rich but deep down he knows it won't happen.

It would have to be an extremely rich find to pay for a tractor, just a little bit bigger than the fly poop I finding lately.

I try very hard to avoid the percentage thing, 20% of nothing is nothing, but an ounce out, well again my friends we are treading into possible hostile territory. If the landowner insisted on percentage points I would consider but its not my approach in general. Often something from a six pack to a slab will leave both parties with a good feeling, and there's room to gain a couple back ;) I've split wood, mended a fence or two, and put a jar in a hand with some samples where the offer of free drinks has been knocked back my next offer straight up is a tatts ticket and/our box of chocolates. Most will come around with some form of value, and in doing things as you say you will. For larger operations obviously you going to get into negotiations rather than discussions, but if you're looking for a swing or bit of harmless digging then try your hand offering something up before you get started. I have a 100% record of second time permission (often not solo next time around) using this as an opener and closing by getting a phone call or chat in saying thanks before I leave. Treat those as you wound like to be treated and you shouldn't have too much trouble.

I've thought on this issue many times and since entrance more often depends on a relationship of some sorts already having been established, I guess you'd be able to establish a meaningful agreement on a split depending on whether the people "like" you or not. But I have had discussion with one person who said they wouldn't let anyone onto their land again because when they did the guy came back over and over again, [they expected he'd found something] but they hadn't even seen him again. So to my mind, given I used to deal lots with contracts as a realestate agent, I reckon if you went in with a written agreement with spaces to put in name and date, agreed amount on finding something over, say, 5ozs, then it would give much more credence to it all. The landowner would feel they had at least some coverage, if something was found. Seems to me, to get into some of those places you really think there is good gold, then something has to be done.
Just a thought. What do you think.

Any contract requires names, addresses, date, period of access, agreed cut, signatures, witnesses, and a copy for each party.

I think this percentage idea with the landowner has got to many flaws in it. If you go out for days and you don't get any gold he will think your holding out on him? If you give him some gold he will think are you really giving him his share? The better way is to offer your services. Leave your detectors home and give them a hand mustering, fixing small motors etc. offer something your good at or offer your time. This way he always gets value from you and you build a good relationship with them. :)

Roscoe said:
I think this percentage idea with the landowner has got to many flaws in it. If you go out for days and you don't get any gold he will think your holding out on him? If you give him some gold he will think are you really giving him his share? The better way is to offer your services. Leave your detectors home and give them a hand mustering, fixing small motors etc. offer something your good at or offer your time. This way he always gets value from you and you build a good relationship with them. :)

yup

gold does funny things to human brain cells and there is nowhere else where paranoia jumps up worse than gold digging.

i think from the posts above i will probably favour the cash offer to dig the property and give them a little jar of nuggets if i think their personality is congenial , or offer labour services on the farm too.

what did Mount Brown Station charge for daily access when they were open ?

Honestly I think it would be better to keep your mouth shut if anything of great value was to be found, Ive heard of a few stories of someone finding gold and wanting to do the right thing and share it with the landowners but to have it backfire and landowner claiming they never gave permission to hunt the property and wanted their property back..the nugget...or it was see you in court

If you want to hunt on private property in SA you are supposed to get written approval, there is a form that the relevant dept produce for that purpose. You fill it out all the owner need do is sign it.

Typing something up with the address, date your name etc aint rocket science and it might just cover the rear end !!!!

Didn't know about the form Condor. Is it downloadable and where from? I just think its a matter of given credibility to our request for entry. And I guess your right Headsup. When GGOOOLLDDDD is involved it doesn't matter how straight and honest you might be, someone is always going to say that you weren't. I remarked to a guy I know just the other day that I hadn't found any gold yet and his response, straight back was, "well you wouldn't tell me if you did find some". Cant win can you!

I've recently been given access to a property all the owner would like is a few kilo of fish as they don't get fresh fish out west.

Personally, I am honest with the land owner. If they ask to see what I have found, I will show them.

I'd say it was early 90s when an Old mate of mine took myself and another bloke out to a property near Windeyer to do a bit of detecting and panning. We didn't find much but the area was promising so after showing the owner our non-fortune :lol: I arranged permission to come back and do some more panning at a later date. Meanwhile, another bloke tried his luck on the property, a couple of hundred meters from where we were looking, he snagged a several ounce nugget, and apparently told the owner that he didn't find anything.

A few weeks later, I went back to see the owner and try my luck again only to find that the once friendly old gentleman was a changed man! he said no one is getting onto his property again thanks to the last bloke he let on. Then he proceeded to tell me of him overhearing in the pub about the find on his property, and the many fence jumpers since. He said "The bloke lied to me, he said he didn't find anything, that was it for me!"

Its a shame, he was a nice old bloke. I told him that most of us are decent blokes, wished him well and never returned. With modern detectors, his place would be a ... Goldmine.

Cheers

Myself and a couple of mates have got access to a property, we haven't found any gold yet but every time we go there we give him a case of beer. I was told by the owner what we find we keep. So if we ever do find anything we will show him our finds and if he asked for a share I wouldn't have a problem. Having permission to use private property gives you a piece of mind, like not worrying about your car and campsite whilst you are out and about.
I have used the "Beer Economy" for fishing and hunting on private property, it seems to work fine :)

Latest posts