shallow depth scuba in rivers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So one of my other interests is diving...walking up the Turon river recently I thought to come back in the warmer weather with a wetty and diving gear.

Surely this must be a good way to get in among the bedrock crevices?

I've not heard anyone doing the same thing so thought to see if anyone's made a go of this technique?

Depth wise we're only talking a couple of metres max, so not specially challenging.

Cheers all!

I do quite a bit of "sniping" as they call it, just with snorkel gear but there are a few Youtubers I've seen sniping with proper diving gear. Check out PioneerPauly on youtube, he does quite a bit of diving/sniping in the rivers in Canada.

Plenty of old timer's dived every known river when dredging was legal so it makes sense to have a go if you have the right gear :Y: :beer: Only a couple of metres, do you have an SDC (stated for 3 metres) with the all the water proof gear.

RM Outback said:
Plenty of old timer's dived every known river when dredging was legal so it makes sense to have a go if you have the right gear :Y: :beer: Only a couple of metres, do you have an SDC (stated for 3 metres) with the all the water proof gear.

Yeah good point - I have an ATX rated to 10 foot/3M, so that will have to do, and can invest in a waterproof pointer so should be right...at least it's fresh water so if the poo hits the fan the electrics might dry out rather than fry...

Will revisit this when the weather warms up a bit!

OldDogNewTrick said:
RM Outback said:

Yeah good point - I have an ATX rated to 10 foot/3M, so that will have to do, and can invest in a waterproof pointer so should be right...at least it's fresh water so if the poo hits the fan the electrics might dry out rather than fry...

If you haven't seen them already, you might be interested in Steve Herschbach's accounts of detecting Hawaiian surf beaches with an ATX:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...g-journal/beach-detecting-hawaii-garrett-atx/
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...rnal/garrett-atx-return-to-hawaii-41015-r108/

It's not nugget-hunting, but mostly underwater use of the ATX, where he feels it's in its element.

grubstake said:
OldDogNewTrick said:
RM Outback said:

If you haven't seen them already, you might be interested in Steve Herschbach's accounts of detecting Hawaiian surf beaches with an ATX:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...g-journal/beach-detecting-hawaii-garrett-atx/
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...rnal/garrett-atx-return-to-hawaii-41015-r108/

It's not nugget-hunting, but mostly underwater use of the ATX, where he feels it's in its element.

Good articles thanks for showing me...bought the ATX on a whim and looking at the tube vids on river gold sniping it may stay in the car.
Sniping looks more a visual technique...we'll see in October when I get back from hiking in Spain :)

OldDogNewTrick said:
RM Outback said:

Before you take any electronics underwater get a can of lanolin spray and spray the circuit boards, it'll add an additional layer of protection in case of leaks. :(

Latest posts