Self defence, carrying of knives, wild animals, where do we stand?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Adam
Reaction score
Hello all,

My question is do you carry any form of protection other than a miners pick? I am concerned for my safety as I detect alone and have purchased a very large knife/machete. I am in fear of pig's, not people and want to know if its acceptable to carry such with me in remote locations. I have never experienced a pig/boar as I am new to detecting and hope I never have to. My understanding is that the animal is territorial and if there are young the animal can be quite protective. The last thing I want is to be gourd in the thigh and having to deal with an arterial bleed in the field.

I am a member of a rescue organisation and perhaps my training makes me paranoid in preparing for the worst in every situation. Snakes I am prepared for, dog's and pig's I am not so sure, isn't there also a black panther lurking somewhere? :lol: Lets not forget about the Yowie and Bunyip while im on a roll :eek:

Have you guy's ever come across any dangerous situations with wild animals? Are we allowed to carry machete's in the bush with NSW tough new knife laws? The legislation prohibits carrying in public places, is Crown Land considered a public place or are they more likely referring to not carrying one through Westfield's? My goal is to be safe as possible, carry what is needed, abide by NSW law, find gold, return home to the Mrs.

Any input highly appreciated,

Regards,

Adam

Good question Adam, this is one of which I don't know the legal answer to, but.. I also carry a large hunting style knife when out in the bush for the very same reasons, luckily I've never had to use it though. I know of a couple other guys who do the same.

I also look forward to hearing from anyone with a legal stance on this subject.

Iam not up on the knife laws, but i would imagine that crown land/state forest is not a public place like the center of a town allthough both are accessable to the public. So a public place is a place where members of the general public are gathered, whereas public land is accessable to the public.
Plus i guess there is not much call for machete's in the center of town :rolleyes: where as in the bush you have it for a purpose like clearing a trail or keeping snakes at bay ;)
But if the main reason you are taking it is for pigs, then i think you may have the wrong attitude. I would think under most situations the pig will run from you long before you see it. If you are quiet enough to happen across one, most of the time it will bolt from you. The exception to these times would be if you have somehow cornered the pig or maybe if a mother was protecting her young or if they have been threatened.
Personally if i stumbled across a pig i would be checking for the closest tree first and be thinking about the knife second, as going up against a pig with a knife will more likely end up as
gourd in the thigh and having to deal with an arterial bleed in the field

Just my 2 cents, have done a little pig hunting before and have seen a few pigs but never had one charge us. Its the snakes that concern me more :eek:

Ok, we'll I feel I should be ok with a knife/machete on Crown land from what I read today thanks to @Gold miner, my excuse is I am hunting....for gold anyway. I just wouldn't feel safe without some form of defense against any beastie known to be of danger to humans. After having spinal surgery early this year I feel totally weakened from the man I was and am way too unfit to jump up tree, guess that's why I am so paranoid.

@Shivan, point taken about going toe to toe with a pig and pray it never happens. I do expect them to stay clear of me, it's just the old man told me a story about him and his brother stuck up a tree with an angry boar below that had it in for them. The story ends with their old man shooting the pig and saving the day, maybe he is winding me up?

The law seems tricky on the knife subject, even having it in your car isn't allowed. Before I head to an area I might take the time to contact the local Police to see what they think about me carrying in their town for the purpose of metal detecting alone.

Thanks again to you all for taking the time to reply :D

Hope I can help a little here. A state forest is a public place. Anywhere that is open to the public is a public place, makes sense. Also any roads in these places including beaches are considered roads under the law. You are allowed to carry a knife in a public place if you have a justified/legitimate reason for doing so, ie. work, hobby, sport (hunting, knife throwing), leisure(picnics, BBQ's). You are not allowed to carry a knife for the purpose of personal protection, meaning protection from people not pigs. If you carry it when metal detecting for metal detecting it is part of your hobby and justifiable. If you say it is to protect yourself from the bad people in the park you may find yourself in trouble.

Remember this law was introduced because of people knifing each other, carrying knives expressly for this purpose. If your are an honest bloke driving or walking down the road (or around a park of forest) the Police don't have the authority to search you anyway so won't know what you are carrying. For them to search you they have to have a legitimate (legal) reason ie. due cause, or your permission. If the Police asked if they could search me or my car I would emphatically tell them NO. I respect the police but I also respect my right to privacy and to go about my legitimate business unhindered.

I will happily reply to any questions this may raise :)

Heg Dagmatic,

Somewhat I agree. up here in FNQ, I put my Knife on my belt as I do with my mobile phone..EVERYDAY!
I also have a 3 led torch on the belt, and an
RMwiliams fob watch.....
Police DO have a right to search, but recent cases have found that if proper process wasn't followed, evidence gained from an illegal search could be found inadmissable in a court of law.
However, for some wally to want to search MY car, he/she would need to obtain a warrant.
These are not hard to get, but pains 'them' to do so....
So THERE HAD BETTER BE A DAMN GOOD REASON!!!!!
Normally, if you play by the rules....you would suffer no issues in this regard....
As far as I can see, NSW rules, say no knives, thats it.......
But if you were in boagalonaboosh state forest or what ever, I think you would be approached be a copper that comes from the area....
He/she would understand your predicacment providing you dont use the wording 'self-defense' because that is specifically mentioned.....and you would be asked to move on.....

Hi Gold miner. I should have added that what I stated is for NSW and is in no way indicative of any other state. You are correct re a warrant. Mind you in NSW they are not so
easy to obtain. The policed must go to a court and have a good reason. In QLD you only need to go to a JP for a warrant. I am pretty sure this is still the case.
Having said that they would have to have good cause to hold you while they obtained a warrant. I would suggest if they went to that amount of trouble you were a
person of interest to start with and this is not about a knife you might or might not have...

Mate it can be confusing, and at times I think that is how the powers to be want it. I wonder how many laws there are each day that we
break and are not even aware of it. When confusion reigns those that wheel the confusion reign. The laws have gotten so silly and
numerous that most people don't even realise that some of what they are doing is unlawful. If anyone says they know the law they are
kidding themselves. There are thousands of laws, many of which we have no idea until we are tapped on the shoulder. This is why we have
solicitors that only focus on one section of law. If It takes them a uni degree and years of study for one section of law what hope have we that must obey them all.

But if you were in boagalonaboosh state forest or what ever, I think if you would be approached by a copper that comes from the area....
He/she would understand your predicacment providing you dont use the wording 'self-defense' because that is specifically mentioned.....and you would be asked to move on.....and use some nouse....

i think thats more of a scenario the one would face.....

Put it this way, my Leatherman, extremely sharp on my belt and a Grylls knife again razor sharp up in the shade shelf area.....

Mate you are right... You probably wouldn't even be asked to move on, just to have a good day and good luck with your search ;)

Edit for spelling :rolleyes: