Russell's Creek - Gippsland Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone managed to find gold in Russell's Creek which runs into Blue Rock dam near Willow Grove in Gippsland?
Old Fogey
Okay > It seems from previous posts that I'm not likely to be driving a Ferrari after any attempt to find gold in that region

Some good sized nuggets reportedly found in olden days at Russell’s Creek and in gold workings along the Tanjil above the dam and below Tanjil junction. Also in the high level leads above the dam area.
Since the Blue Rock dam was built the best areas where much gold was dredged is now difficult to access, but not impossible as have found tracks in for a bit of detecting but without success.
in my more adventurous days got a mate to drop me in the Tanjil at Tanjil Junction with an inflatable, camping gear, and prospecting gear hoping to find good spots to dredge in the inaccessible spots above the dam lake.
Floated or more properly dragged or ran rapids with the inflatable until I reached the calm waters at the top of the lake. Found many likely looking dredging spots along the way but just after that Kirner banned dredging.
Haven’t been there for many years as access to the best areas of Russell’s and the Tanjil seemed rather limited but if you can get in I reckon it would be worth a try with more modern detectors. The Tanjil would still carry good gold if you can get into a high banking spot.
PS took me four days on the river and eventually paddled out to a prearranged spot across the lake at Willow Grove with my mate nowhere to be seen.

hi all
there is some really good reading history in regards to russell's creek in the book "so tall the trees"
cheers all

1979 the Brother In-law, Wife, Myself and a Friend got ¼ bit at the junction but now it is under water.