Rush - ABC series from the 1970s. Missing, presumed wiped?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Great Australian ABC gold rush series I used to watch in the early 70s. This and going to Sovereign Hill (I still have my 1973 booklet) tweeked my interest in the goldfields. I have tried to get copies of it and have met with stunned silence from the ABC.

There are a couple of theories why it is unavailable.

1. The tapes were scrubbed and reused( as was the case with a lot of shows from the period - early Aunty Jack, Dads Army etc.)
2. It was a French co-production and they won't release the rights or some-other such nonsense.

The D generation did a send-up called the 'olden days' and apart from that and a few snippets on Youtube and a great video of the intro with Brian Mays music - thats all I can find.

has anyone any knowledge if the series is available?

music clip for series may stir some memories in our 'older' members.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uJMF93Zatw[/video]

I have also been looking for this series, I would love to be able to see it again.
I suppose Tandara is the next best thing and I cant find that either.

Latest news on Rush the series is: The second season still exists, however 3 or 4 episodes of the first season may be missing. There is no news so far that I can find, that either series has been released onto a format that can be purchased.
For more info, try classicaustraliantv.com
Its looks like it just hasn't been put together and released yet.

Here is an answer/reply I came across on another site, apparently from the ABC.

The rights holders are the ABC; however the talent used in this series was contracted for broadcast rights only, which restricts us from selling this material commercially. There are no plans at this stage to rebroadcast this series.

Thanks very much for the info. I will just keep playing my beer drinking Kangaroo song.

Thanks for the info on this series guys. I had been looking for it too but came to a dead end while looking.

Ok I have a list of what is still in the archives at ABC regarding this series. Series 1, episodes 1-12, episode 7 is missing. Series 2, episodes 13-26, episode 18 is missing. I don't know if there were other Series as well.

I'm not sure if these will ever be re-released or replayed on TV, I doubt it. I can get a few episodes run off, but to do the lot would be too time consuming for staff, so not much point I guess.

Heatho said:
Ok I have a list of what is still in the archives at ABC regarding this series. Series 1, episodes 1-12, episode 7 is missing. Series 2, episodes 13-26, episode 18 is missing. I don't know if there were other Series as well.

I'm not sure if these will ever be re-released or replayed on TV, I doubt it. I can get a few episodes run off, but to do the lot would be too time consuming for staff, so not much point I guess.

It would be great if someone could take this on as a pet project.

Yeah it would I be interested in seeing it. My friend is a part time Librarian there, she really does not have anything to do with archives. But I think they are trying to implement a digital archive of old content soooo maybe in the future. It's a lot of hours work to do even just 1 series, I'm not sure how the ABC would go about it but remastering old master tapes of music for digital release takes a lot of time.

Then there is copyright................ :(

Heath - I think its worthwhile stating in public how much time and effort you and your family spent researching this issue and also the folk at the ABC . Many thanks to you and them mate. At least we will always have our beer drinking kangaroo!

Latest posts