restoring an old axe head

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ever detected or found an old axe or pick head out in the bush, and wondered if it could be restored?

Here is an interesting video of the lengthy process involved with one particular restoration of an axe head that looked very far gone to me.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EfVW3Ng-so[/video]

Terrific video, thank for posting that.

The slots in the base of the axe head are probably for bending things - maybe even for setting the teeth on large saws? But I am perplexed as to what the elongated hole in the body of the head may be for, any ideas anyone?

I don't know. Someone must know though.

I found an old gold rush age shovel head at Eldorado, but left it there because it had rusted out too far and was almost falling apart!
It still is producing gold as when I dug it, I washed it off in my pan and found a few specks! Though, nothing compared to what it used to dig up.
I wonder how much gold it has dug up in it's lifetime! I'm guessing many kg's as Eldy was/still is in some spots a very rich gold area!

Depending on how big that axe-head is..it could be for setting traps!...I got one that was used for rabbits..larger traps(dogs dingo) would need to be a bit bigger..I guess :p Who knows...

Think holes in head are for square and wing nuts which were common fasteners for timber back in the day ................... probably the equivalent of our todays Leatherman :D

I think you are on to it Mond, "Beveled Nail Slot", either way nice head.

I remember finding a few odd ones as a kid, Broad Heads, Double Bit Heads, Felling Axe some more unique than others, those and mining picks. I used to scour through some old walk-in silver mines looking for such treasures, as a parent I realise how stupid I was then. I have them floating around somewhere. I remember dad really liked one of them for splitting firewood so he cleaned it up and tempered it again the same as this guy, prob used it for another 20 years. I think this guy could save himself some time with some old linishing discs in various grits and maybe some wax on this disc.

1512626869_hatchets.jpg

Still inspired, but the 180 years or so of crud may be an issue

Here is the short-list

1512885200_image.jpg

No wire brush for me, had to smash the years off with a sledge hammer and chip away with a boot-makers tool previously raised from the depths of the earth

1512885397_image.jpg

With the layers of corrosion gone, the implements of utility and wealth creation look salvageable and a detailed cleanup and limited wet hand sand have turned them into display worthy relics.

1512885692_image.jpg

Not sure if they will take a mirror polish so I think I will make some some new handles for them, give them a bees wax coating and mount them on the man-cave wall.

1512886454_image.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration DrDuck :Y:

One down :lol:

Decided to leave the aged look on the tomahawk, blade edge came up nicely and i have picked out a 1800's thrippy to inlay into the handle.

Feels really good in the hand, so I think i will have to take it over to the throwing axe target to see if it flys true.

1514695398_image.jpg

2 simple solutions to remove rust, first preference ss good old molasses, large items can be done in a wading pool, the molasses breaks down to form phosphoric acid used rubber gloves to protect hands when you remove the scale some brushing might be required, wash off the black crud and dry the item, there should be a fine light coating over the steel surface , this will provide some protection from the oxygen that is part of the rust problem, the second solution is that cheap white vinegar with water in a plastic container

its that simple, don't leave items in for long periods of time keep checking it

Wally69 said:
One down :lol:

Decided to leave the aged look on the tomahawk, blade edge came up nicely and i have picked out a 1800's thrippy to inlay into the handle.

Feels really good in the hand, so I think i will have to take it over to the throwing axe target to see if it flys true.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1514695398_image.jpg

Reminds me of my dad telling me they had an axe in the family for over 150 years, it had had three new heads and 1/2 dozen handles!!!

Seriously though, nice resto, looks great. :) :) :)

I am happy that I have turned back time on one of my pick heads - am truely amazed by the restoring power of sugarcane (molasses)

My question now is, what is the best way to surface protect my restored relic ?

The timber I had selected for the handle is also too small, it seems that the forger prided himself on the production of bespoke pieces of functional art with the expectation that each head would be customarily fitted with a unique handle.

I had originally decided to fit my available timber to one of the other heads with a smaller handle hole but at the last minute I changed the head to be soaked to the longer sleeker model not realising the hole is almost twice as long. Keen to get some advice on what timber would have been used by our first settlers in the Sydney/Bathurst area for pick handle making so I can source and make something true to period.

Any ideas or leads appreciated 8)

1520123376_image.jpg

Latest posts