Reedy creek gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PotOfGold said:
A .3g nugget from Reedy Creek? That's crazy awesome. Tis good to know they're still out there. And thank you for the kind words :)

I've personally pulled a .33g picker, .21g picker and a few smaller bits ranging from .08 -.12 from Reedy Creek over the last few years, a very good mate of mine who I took along to one of my favourite hot spots outdid me (yes digging out of my very own hole) with a small nugget weighing 0.65g, I even offered him $100 for it and the son of a gun wouldn't part with it.

Pickers and nuggets are uncommon but they do exist out there, one thing I can tell you for sure from my experience is you wont find them with the flood gold, they are down deep in the old stuff.

Reedy Creek takes a little getting used to. Unlike Far South Coast NSW and Tassie there is a lot of fine gold in the creek itself.

Tassie was more about working patches of good diggings the old timers missed. (Older alluvials).

Reedy would be even better if you could sink shafts or do major cutaways into the older alluvials.

Yep, Reedy Creek blacks are tough, especially since the gold is so fine. Lot of tin in it. Apparently, the Eldorado dredge produced 70,664
ounces of gold and 1,383 tons of tin concentrate, which gives an indication of the relative proportions of gold to tin.

Gappa44 said:
Ok so I weighed the gold on proper scales came in with 0.17 grams for those 2 days ? :)

Yeah not an amazing show there mate, but all things considered its probably not as bad as it seems. The water was quite high after all. If you had access to and were running material from within the creek itself youd have done much better I think.

elbowgrease said:
PotOfGold said:
A .3g nugget from Reedy Creek? That's crazy awesome. Tis good to know they're still out there. And thank you for the kind words :)

I've personally pulled a .33g picker, .21g picker and a few smaller bits ranging from .08 -.12 from Reedy Creek over the last few years, a very good mate of mine who I took along to one of my favourite hot spots outdid me (yes digging out of my very own hole) with a small nugget weighing 0.65g, I even offered him $100 for it and the son of a gun wouldn't part with it.

Pickers and nuggets are uncommon but they do exist out there, one thing I can tell you for sure from my experience is you wont find them with the flood gold, they are down deep in the old stuff.

Good to know. Hopefully I can pull my own little nug out one day :)

Chuky boy said:
How do you guys seperate all those flakes from the rest of the muck and black sand?

Miller table. Recently built one and it makes it fun cleaning up now.

Chuky boy said:
How do you guys seperate all those flakes from the rest of the muck and black sand?

Just pan it tea spoon at the time. Takes ages. I keep all the black sands and might process it one day.

Chuky boy said:

I've tried heaps of different ways of separating Reedy Creek gold and black sands but probably the most efficient Ive found is to use a goldpan with a large base, dump all your cons in it, with a shallow covering of water work all your cons to the front of the pan agitating to get the gold to bury itself in the black sands then gently use the water in the pan to wash back the top layer black sand into the back of the gold pan, then using a snuffer suck the black sand out, every few times you suck black sand and water out of the pan you might need to add a tiny bit of water but basically repeat the process until all you have left in the pan is gold, each time being careful to only wash the top layer of black sand off. With a steady hand and a bit of practice you can clean up quite a sizeable amount of concentrates reasonably quickly. Also a handy tips with Reedy Creek gold, if you find you get gold and black sand clinging to the water surface just the tiniest smear of dish washing detergent will prevent it.

So I went out last weekend really wanting to up my game on how much I get in a day so I tryed a few new things and found that it really helped 1 I did less clean outs which gave me a lot more time shovelling !
Also dug an inch into the clay layer I was getting my gravel from and bam finished the day with 0.61 of a gram more than 4x what I got last time in the same spot !!! :D

Latest posts