Rechargeable batteries....?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabwoody

Darren
Reaction score
Hi all.I was wondering if anybody usses rechargeable batteries in their detectors, and if so, is there any difference in performance (ie. longevity).Does the fact that rechargeables are 1.2 volts compared to regular batteries being 1.5 volts make any difference?Do you need to carry spare batteries just in case?Thanks.

If you use high quality NiMH rechargeable batteries you should be fine, the cheap ones can cause instability and another member experienced this not long ago with an Ace 250 I think it was, switched to a known brand and had no more issues.

I've been using Energizer Extreme 2300mAh and 2450mAh in my AT Gold for a quite a while now with absolutely no issues. The Extreme's are supposed to last a lot longer than the standard range and hold their charge for about 12 months. I haven't bench marked the 2300's against the 2450's but I typically get around 20-40 hours out of each charge, this is pretty similar to what I was getting with quality non-rechargeable batteries so I'm happy with that.

This initial cost was high, about $100 or so from memory for two sets of batteries plus a smart charger (I think they are cheaper now), but you can save in the long run providing you use them frequently enough.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Nugget.It's about $19 for a set of four 2450 nimh batteries and $25-$30 for a charger pack (includes four 1400 nimh batteries), so about $63-$68 for two sets of batteries and a charger.I get out fairly regularly so I think it will be worth it.I just wasn't sure if the lower voltage was an issue.Thanks again.

Latest posts