Question on the Vic Regulations regarding Eldorado

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivarat

Brad Grant
Reaction score
Friends were out digging for crystals the other day near Eldorado not in the creek but up in the hills when the were approached by 2 rangers.
As I wasn't there I can only comment on what I've been told.

The rangers didn't like were they were digging, and that they should be in the creek, even though they were in the permitted part of the park.
They didn't like the size of their hole even though they started in a previous hole but was probably compounded the amount of other peoples holes left open.
The Rangers said that fossicking in the park was really only to shovel depth and recommend that they refill their hole and be on their way.
The Rangers took some photos and left.

Thankfully they had their miners right, but not wanting any trouble they refilled their hole and packed up.

Question is
How big of a hole is too big?I know minimal impact and the PMAV code of conduct
And where are these details published? especially for newbies as my friends are as it is easy to get and miners right and start digging a hole.

Every hole left open makes the rangers more feisty , they have probably seen enough unfilled hole they are getting grumpy. As for regulations I don't know but the men with the gun/power make the rules on the day.

There's no specific but I think somewhere I read 1 tonne can be dug which is like a 1.5m cubed hole. But then you can fill it and move another tonne next to it as long as it goes back. How do you do this if sluicing? You need to think very hard and pre-prepare your dig to be able to move this way.

I've been cautious as I swear I read it somewhere but keep a circulation of material movement and you should be sweet.

The rangers would see a lot of unfilled holes but I would have stood my ground on that discussion. Its what your paying a miners RIGHT for. If I drove 5 hours up there to be told that....hah.

I'd want to see the paper that sais you cannot dig to shovel depth. What size shovel? I didn't know that a shovel was a standard of measurement

- aussiefarmer, your sweet, you can just bite thier leg :D

I have seen guys dig holes so deep that they disappeared in it. Always back fill your hole and there will be no trouble. :)

i hope its not a sign of the times im planning on going up there in about a week for the first time.not real keen to travel 630 kms to battle with some guy on a power trip, i deal with that enough at work...

Firstly, was it parks and wildlife ranger. Or DPI?
As much as the rangers think they know the rules,
which they may know. But are out of there area of of coad.
Only dpi mines department can really tell you what you can and can't do.
But piss off the ranger and I'm sure that they will find something else.
I would of stood my ground and asked to see the classification from them.
Yes sometimes they are on a power trip, but that doesn't give them the right to act the way they do sometimes.
The best defense is know the regs and rules for the area you intend to prospect.
Each state have different conditions
As do some different areas in the same state.

So research the area, and its regs.
Cheers Kane

You wouldn't think Prospecting and fossicking would be perrmitted at Eldorado / Beechworth given that the areas of interest to us are in the "Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park" however it seems to be have always been tolerated by the authorities.......

casper

I was camping at Eldorado and started to high bank in the morning about 9:30 and by 10:30 we had the police come down to investigate a report that we were dredging a complaint that came from the farmer, after the officer made it clear he didn't know what the difference between high banking and dredging was we explained what the 2 differences were and he was on his way so I guess it all comes down to the individual officer on the day. As for prospecting away from reedy creek I think it is all preserved I am not sure so correct me if I am wrong and because of such a high interest in prospecting I think they opened up just the creek to us so we don't tear up all the heritage mining sites and the like. What I would like to know is wether you are still allowed to high bank at Eldorado because I thought I read somewhere recently that they banned high banking there as it was being destroyed in the eyes of DEPI . Can anyone confirm this for me as I would like to head over that way soon.. safety1st

fatbellied expert said:
Post now deleted

That's now the way to go, it's this attitude that's riles the powers/Rangers and we don't want....That!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what it is in QLD

39 Limits on digging
(1) A person fossicking under a licence must not dig below
ground level
(a) to a depth, measured from the highest point at the top of
the land dug, of more than
(i) 0.5m in a watercourse; or
(ii) 2m on other land; or
(iii)a depth fixed under subsection (2); or
(b) if the digging involves tunnelling under land or creating
an overhang; or
(c) in a road reserve.
Maximum penalty20 penalty units.
(2) If, in the Ministers opinion, digging to a depth mentioned in
subsection (1)(a)(i) or (ii) on
particular land may be unsafe,
the Governor in Council may fi
x a reduced depth for the land
by regulation.

Qld's a long way from Eldorado Victoria Cecc?

safety1st
Here's a map of the Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park prospecting area:
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/511802/Map-Chiltern-Mt-Pilot-National-Park-Prospecting-Guide.pdf

You should be able to prospect/fossick in the designated areas as per the conditions of the Victorian Miner's Right.
Parks Victoria website says for the Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park "Prospecting is permitted in designated areas. Prospectors must hold a current Miner's Right." http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/chiltern-mt-pilot-national-park/things-to-do/prospecting
There are no other conditions noted for that park so a highbanker in the designated areas should be ok.

That's an interesting version of that map mbasko...... with reference to my post above #7 it's curious as to why your linked map is different to the Geo Referenced one they published and that I use (and rely on) on my smart phone. Yours and mine were both "prepared" (do they mean published) in 2011 and both have the appalling double mis-spelling in the Disclaimer blurb.

The linked map
1453529204_screen_shot_2016-01-23_at_4.48.59_pm.png

My Geo Referenced map.....
1453529493_screen_shot_2016-01-23_at_5.10.32_pm.png

This might serve as an explanation for those who might have thought I was smoking something when i wrote post #7 however it begs the question which map is correct!! So if a Ranger pulls his smart phone to show you on his map that you're infringing (the latest technology and so expect the map to be slaveishly accepted as the latest version) well tough luck! cos they've said in the disclaimer that you cannot rely on any of their maps being correct AND that this map supersedes all previous editions. Who has the right map when they are both dated the same year???
1453530201_screen_shot_2016-01-23_at_5.04.20_pm.png

casper

Strange one hey! The one I linked to is direct from their own website so I'd be arguing the point if pulled up. The website definitely says prospecting is allowed there & Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park is on their list of parks with prospecting allowed.

Thanks Heaps everyone The information is quite interesting as I was always lead to believe that it was pretty much a no go area when you venture away from the creek and I have always held back from venturing into the seasonal creeks and in the future if I ever get asked I am going to refer to mbasko's link to the map that is marked in our favour for prospecting as I have never looked hard enough to find it before ;) safety1st

Bit of a weird one, the waterway actually exists on the exempted list too, so I guess it's do the right thing on the day but if you were kicked out or worse you probably have zero recourse. The history of this location is long a varied with interest from mining and dredging,name changes, to park status to a prospecting destination each with its legitimate stance and input but it leaves exactly what can and can't be done there a bit up in the air.

I was browsing the maps and found an explanation for the map anomaly - mbasko's linked map has "Prospecting Guide" added to the title at the top of the map whereas my map doesn't - mine is the "visitor guide" :8

emergency over!!

casper

1453589450_screen_shot_2016-01-24_at_9.31.50_am.jpg

1453589574_img_4946.jpg

Well that was a quick & relatively easy outcome or explanation :lol:
I hadn't noticed that there were 2 different maps & you would think that the visitors guide would have prospecting info anyways? Anyhow it shows that if going to Vic parks with allowable prospecting make sure you get a prospecting guide/map that shows the designated area/s.

Latest posts