QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good old CS beats PC any day, trouble is it`s not that common anymore......... ;) Hit 16 deg yesterday morn here, looks like our clayton wets over. We just have to be patient waiting to see how the QED handles the north.

Eski said:
you'd be hung drawn and quartered if you suggested burning anything here in vic Dave. the greenies and the pc brigade are out in force...

It's spreading ................... the burning of the cane is all but a thing of the past in FNQ . Spent many a night sitting on the bonnet watching the night sky glow as the flames appear to lick at the clouds. A spectacular sight to see made even more so by the roar of the flames for those who have never done so :Y:

Been a long time since I watched a cane field burn bogger, but used to love the glow,the smell and the noise!
Have they stopped doing it?

davent said:
Been a long time since I watched a cane field burn bogger, but used to love the glow,the smell and the noise!
Have they stopped doing it?

Dave I don't believe altogether but the Bundy Black Snow is becoming less and less ..................... green harvesting a lot more frequent now. Smoke and ash fall out always a hot topic with the greenies :rolleyes:

Went out very early this morning to run the QED along side of my gpx 4500 to get a comparison on the same day/ground. I've had the QED mounted on my gpx shaft until today.
OK, so I started with the QED, still dark, on a flogged patch, had to as its one of the few clearish areas I can get to this time of the year. Started pretty well, light rain on the drive down, reasonably cool. Hit the ground and got a few junk targets straight away, that's OK by me, as I said, its a flogged patch, so I don't mind digging tacks and ring pulls, means no one else has either! As the sun came up, it got hot and humid very quickly, and I had to adjust the bias. Ground balance was no problem, only had to do 2 GB for the day. EMI became really annoying, and I adjusted the bias up again, started on 50 then 52 and 54 settled it down a bit. Cranked the volume to create a slight threshold, no worries. I used detecnix headphones. They cut out a few times, and that pissed me off. Adaptor is not great. Anyway, I got a target next to an old detector hole, and thought it was a nail or a tack, but it turned out to be my 1st QED gold, .44 of a gram.
1489547425_img_20170315_122826.jpg

So I went back to the car for a drink, and swapped the QED for the gpx to see how it compared.
Settings were, enhance, fixed GB, RX 9 stab 11. Auto tuned and ground balanced, steady hum.....beautiful.
I've got to say, it was much smoother and handled the emi much better than the QED, to my surprise.
Dug a few targets, no gold. But, it did give a better response to the targets, and I put the .44 down, and it really sang on it, conceded, it was just an air test, but really positive.
Coils , on the QED, I ran a NF 14*9 evo, on the gpx a 12" NF evo.
Winner on this outing goes to the GPX4500 due to the steady threshold, despite not getting the gold.
Did a video, will upload it, although I held the phone next to the headphones, you can't hear the response.....not sure if I like the detecnix wireless phones yet.

Dave good to see an honest unbiased report and a nice little hunk of yella also :Y: On the headphones losing signal try moving your transmitter ............. had a small issue at first with them dropping out but once I found sweet spot for transmitter never lost signal again. Note I only had to move it an inch or so but something was blocking it ;)

Thanks bogger, but I think its the adaptor, gave it a twist and wiggle a few times, that fixed it.
Wonder how a booster would go on the QED?
GEF 12 makes them, and also has a QED, I'll have to ask him to test one.

davent said:
I've got to say, it was much smoother and handled the emi much better than the QED, to my surprise.
Winner on this outing goes to the GPX4500 due to the steady threshold, despite not getting the gold.
Did a video, will upload it, although I held the phone next to the headphones, you can't hear the response.....not sure if I like the detecnix wireless phones yet.

Thanks davent for your latest honest update.

In regards to the EMI was that due to being close to city limits or from atmospheric conditions?

Look forward to your video.

Atmospherics, noticed that semi trailer air brakes co incised with it at times, and there is a small mining operation about 1.5 km away , generators etc.

Yeah me to!
I have had problems in the past with the gpx and emi near this spot. I've had it so bad, I have had to pack up.
Not sure if I could have tweaked the QED more or not, dropped the gain, was in mode 8 which is the most immune mode, was surprised with the gpx, thought it would have been a basket case.
Maybe I should have swapped coils over.
Oh, just remembered, I had a ferrite clip on both coils, maybe it works very well with the gpx, 1st time I've used a ferrite clip on the gpx.

Latest posts