PVC crevice pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All.
I was contemplating making a Pvc pump that will transfer fine sand /gravel to a bucket.The place I was going to use it has alot of flour gold in the gravel beds of the creek. My intention was to have only 5mm holes drilled into the end and to just suck out the flour gold and fine sand.
The set up will pump straight into a bucket.
My question to those that have used this type of set up is does the gravel wear out the plunger or the side wall of the Pvc very quickly .
Do you recommend using a yabby pump with the ball valve conection on the end.
And would you recommend using ball valves or brass flap type valves.
Thanks in advance. :) :beer:

Smokey, The best one Ive seen was made using an old fire extinguisher, (The type with a large diameter brass screw off cap ) and a hand operated diaphram type Bilge / priming pump. The pump was mounted to the side of the extinguisher and pumped water/gravel into the cylinder. the heavys settled into the bottom of the extinguisher cylinder and water was discharged out the pump outlet you just kept pumping until the unit was about 2/3rds full and then unscrewed the cap and dumped the contents into the pan.

That sounds good mate.
The flour gold or micro gold here is suspended in the water gravels.
You can literally dig a shovel and pan it off for 100 plus bits its everywhere but it's so small..
I was thinking that I could make it worth while if I could just try and suck it out between the gravels..Hence the 5mm holes drilled into the pipe .Plan is to stick the end in the wet gravels pump away and suck up all the gold within a square foot then move to the next square foot.
Sounds good in theory :) :beer:

I use a yabby pump and have a number of reducing PVC sockets glued to the end. Comes down to about 1/2inch at the bottom. If this is that path you want to go, first thing is rip the rubber seating out which gives you the suction power. Place the bit of rubber over an old thong and cut that out and throw that in there. You'll get about 6 of them for a cheap pair of thongs.

Cheers Jethro and Sushi.I will go with the stainless steel Yabbi pump and just build the conector. Also think I will go with the flap type valves instead of the ball valves. :Y: :) :beer:

Latest posts