Puddling vs baking clay

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
for sticky clay with gold in it does any one favour baking it, crushing and running it through a dryblower rather than mixing it up and sluicing it ? Just thinking former might be more effective with areas that don't have much water as effective puddling uses a fair bit.

I could be wrong, but I would just break it up and run through a dry blower and then process the concentrates. The concentrates are still going to need to be broken down to get all the gold out of the clay, but there will be much less to process.

I mix up my concentrates with water in a bucket thoroughly and run through a mini dream mat sluice after the dry blower. I check the tailings from the dream mat periodically and there is never any gold in it.

I work off the theory that gold stuck in bits of clay is still going to get caught by the dry blower. Mixing up a heap of clay with water is a lot of messy work!

I have run clay through my rock crusher and then the dry blower and that seemed to work but the clay needs to be bone dry first otherwise it clogs your crusher