Prospecting New England Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nug4me2

John
Reaction score
Hi all, heading off for a 2 week prospecting and fishing trip on 7th April to Glen Innes ,Coffs Harbour area.Has anybody got any suggestions for a good spot to check out for gold and sapphires,maybe some other gems. Have a 4wd and 4wd camper set up so can go bush or caravan parks are fine. Cheers John

Glenn Innes has a couple of public prospecting area for gems I think, not far out of town

If you go to Inverell Billabong Blue Sapphire park is great. If going only to Glenn Innes drop in at the tourist info centre and they will have all the info you need. The public areas are very flogged, will need a good flood to stir things up.

Agree with Heatho, Billabong Blue is a great place to lock in some sapphires. Spent a day there a few weeks back and got nice and dusty with a few blue sapphires found. Tried some of the public fossicking areas like Stannifer (just found quartz crystals), Matheson (nothing here but seems someone has spent some time digging a massive hole) and Kookabookra (no luck finding anything at all).

Thanks guys for the helpfull info. I looked up the Billabong Blue and yeh it looks like an interesting place to give a go.Looking forward to heading up that way,hope we don't get rained out.

I'm heading back up on the 22nd, will be going to BB most days there and Ruby Hill at Bingara for a day to get some Garnets also. Hope you have a great time up there.

Hi Heatho,heading home just before then , would have tried to catch up.Went to Nundle today but really had no idea where to look.Heading to Billabong Blue tomorrow.Cheers

Finally made it to Inverell! Heading to Billabong Blue today to try our luck,even one nice stone would be good!.Have had a great time prospecting on the way up.No luck at Nundle but lots of nice crystals from Tingha. Been too busy to get the fishing rods and kayaks happening......maybe later in the week.

Hey John, havn't tried Tingha yet, be sure to post up some pics when you get a chance please. They'll look after you at BB, have found some nice ones just in the pile, if time is an issue get into the pile, if you're there for a couple of days a day on the pile and a day specking should surely get you a few.

All the best.

Hey Heatho ,went to BB but we wer'nt really set up for the proper digging and there wasn't much action going on at the tourist pile so we decided to move on.Tried a couple of creeks around the area but had no luck. Went back to Tingha again and dug out some more crystals. Will try to post some pics when I work out how !

Latest posts