Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless of the head type, here's my tip. I have a Walco pick from Miners Den, I thought I'ld save space and weight with a 500mm handle, great in theory.

But after seeing someone else with a longer handle (about 750mm) and trying it, I realised the extra 2-300gr was worth not bending the back so far so often and required a less digging effort.

I can imagine that in softer ground a shorter handle is ok, but in harder ground the extra length can well be the difference between digging a hole and scratching the surface.

So, when next in Vic I'm buying a similar pick to the one I have, but with a longer handle. I'll carry both in the car but only the one on me, depending on the ground in the area I'm detecting.

TenOunce Tone said:
I have seen a "Pelican Pick", it has the usual fossicking pick pointy bit but a slight bowl in the wide edge of the wedge, Cyclon tools make them, you can get them for about 60 special order from your hardware of choice. I was told by one who knows, if you do get one. get the tip hardened by a boiler maker so it does not wear down so quick.

Or if you can do it yourself.

I would be buying one if I detected.

Cheers, Tone

The Pelican Pick is a useful tool for out test panning as well.
Bust the dirt and scoop it up with other end...straight into classifier / pan

"Steve" from Hill End never left home without his when going scouting.

Thanks loamer ill check them out

thanks casper i new it would be here somewhere

colmaco & wally i have a small Hart but i need some thing bigger

condor my thoughts exactly i have a smaller pick easy to carry and to swing, last time i was out i had to dig 12 inch's that's when i new i needed a bigger pick
i just need to decide what size and type

thanks everyone for your input

As per casper, at the cheap end of the scale they are hard to beat, but a word of warning the quality assurance guy for the wooden handles must be on late shift with his eyes half closed, some of the handles come with knots that will go horizontal across the whole grain, add a touch to much force and you'll have two pieces where once there was one, worth the extra time to weigh up the good from the ugly. Most hardware stores stock them, pretty cheap at around the $15 mark, couple of minor mods like heart treating the tips and shaving a little of the cleaving tip (split the hot rocks with ease and you're good to go.

mbasko said:
http://m.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?kw=seller:bluejeansronald&epp=24&pgn=1
These picks are the go I reckon.
Cheaper than CC, Walco etc. & as good or better. Made by an Aussie prospector.

We brought one of these as well, great service, got the middle size it was seventy dollars including postage. Only took a couple of days to get it.
Great pick , easy to manage and good size. All the measurements and weights are on Ron's web site.
Unfortunately have not dug any gold with it yet
:)

A little bit off picks, but as a holster I only use a old hammer holster for a nail bag. Cheap and does the job :D
Greg

i had a normal style pick one from bunnings it worked ok but as i am only a novice i didnt know of the difference, i have just upgraded to a proper prospecting pick after a outing with some of the members and boy what a difference gets right into where you want to dig no fuss i opted for a long handle to get a good swing into the ground or bank which i want to fossick it is a walco brand pick well worth the extra money .

i have gone through about 2 mattocks 3rd is going well, for i heard a carpenter say once than you can oil up the wood to make it less prone to splintering, which is what all my other picks/mattocks did, when used like crowbar, this can be done even with used engine oil, preferably petrol not diesel, diesel has alot of cleaning agents. Off subject if you ever want to do a good oil flush on an engine 50/50 diesel and atf fuid at idle until engine temp then drain, and replace with new oil filter.

Linseed oil is also good for the wood, used to use it on a cricket bat, now I need to get some to put on my wooden tool handles, the weather up her has a harsh effect on untreated timber.

Cheers, Tone

If you can find spray on poly seems to be good to finish off and propa seal the wood after oiling drying sanding. People might ask why all the maintenance, it will make your little pick or mattock alot stronger, and durabl to weathering, (sun and water).

charlie123 said:
Good one, will have to try the linseed oil, researching this now

For wood try Linseed Oil and Turps, half and half. Rub it in with a rag, wipe off excess.
Can repeat a second time if you want.
Works great :)

Thank you, from rading, after your post they say under boiling temp, turps, linseed oil, teak oil

Looking for some recommendations on a couple of good quality picks, one for myself and one for the missus. I would prefer a heavy one and the wife something lighter. The way she is attracted to gold I don't think she will need a detector, I would back her against a 5000 any day. Cheers.

Latest posts