Prospecting Laptop for use in 4WD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at getting new laptop to load oziexplorer on and run around with it in my 4WD.

Can anyone recommend a decent laptop or at least the specs that I should be chasing in a laptop.

Toshiba make a rugged laptop if you wish. :)
Consider at least getting one with an SSD hard drive.
(Solid State Hard Disk.)
I have a Dell Inspiron that I cart about with my documentation on it
with a SSD in it.
Less chance of knocking the hard drive around.

I purchased a HP Spectre Utrabook with 256GB SSD 18 months, ago. But am currently looking to upgrade the SSD to 512gb as the 256 is a bit small when you are taking and storing lots of photos from a decent digital camera. Functionality is great and it has touch screen if that sort of thing turns you on, it is handy at times. 8gb RAM, 64bit core I7 processor, so reasonable grunt. Very light and thin (no hard disk), but not cheap though, as was about $2k and is still about the same now. Upgrading now to 512gb, will cost me around $500+ plus install costs, if I do it.

At the moment I am offloading all older photos to 1TB and 2TB offline drives (one backup isn't enough).

Using linked online web storage such as Dropbox doesn't really help as you will likely want an image of the storage to be available offline, so that takes the same amount of SSD storage.

Basically stick to good known brands and you will usually get what you pay for.

Rob P.

Surface pro 4 is just awesome for me, It is a tablet but has the grunt of a laptop.
SSD drive and I carry a portable hard drive as well with info and backups on it.

Hook to the net easy via your phone and there a few very good hard cases for them available.

Love my surface!

Clegy

Tathradj said:
Toshiba make a rugged laptop if you wish. :)
Consider at least getting one with an SSD hard drive.
(Solid State Hard Disk.)
I have a Dell Inspiron that I cart about with my documentation on it
with a SSD in it.
Less chance of knocking the hard drive around.

I got a Toshiba not long back, seems to be a decent laptop so far & runs well. Has i5, 4 core processor, 4gb ram upgradeable to 16gb, & a 1tb SSD hard drive. Have used a few Toshiba's before so decided to get one after having Acer laptops for years, won't have another as even my brother, daughter & parents have all ended up having problems with Acer, not as good as they used to be.

For what you want with mapping etc I would suggest an i7 quad core with 4+gb ram minimum & the SSD hard drive, that way everything should run smooth & quickly.
If wanting extra back up an external hard drive is good but being that you will be offroad then SSD storage is the better option, can get small portable hard drives reasonably cheap now, or even having multiple USB drives would work.

Latest posts